Milestones from Stevens' First 150 Years
Edwin A. Stevens bequeathed land and a $500,000 endowment for an “institution of learning.” Stevens Institute of Technology was founded on Feb. 15, 1870.
Henry L. Gantt, inventor of the Gantt Chart, graduated in 1884. Project managers still use his charts to streamline productivity, accountability and schedules.
Steel magnate-philanthropist Andrew Carnegie joined the Board of Trustees in 1891, serving until his death in 1919. Stevens' Carnegie Laboratory opened in 1902.
The first issue of The Stute, which still operates as the campus student newspaper, was published in 1904.
Artist Alexander Calder, famous for kinetic sculptures that gave birth to the mobile, graduated from Stevens with a degree in mechanical engineering in 1919.
Randolph Montrose Smith was the first African-American student to graduate from Stevens, in 1924. He later worked as a civil engineer for the New York subway.
Anna Hyatt Huntington presented her 3,400-pound sculpture in 1964. It remains a campus focal point, symbolizing the passing of knowledge between generations.
In 1971, all-male Stevens welcomed the first undergraduate class to include women. Women from that class went on to lead in industry, academia and government.
Attila the Duck was officially named mascot in 1972, following a naming contest sponsored by The Stute and the Student Government.
Stevens' 1985 Commencement featured a special guest: Hoboken native and world-famous singer Frank Sinatra, who received an honorary degree.