Applying for OPT STEM Extension

F-1 students participating in post-completion OPT who have earned or are currently earning a bachelor’s, master’s, or Ph.D. from a qualified degree program on the government STEM-designated list, may be eligible to apply for the 24-month STEM Optional Practical Training (OPT) extension.

STEM OPT Extension

Learn more about STEM OPT

Below you will find webpages for the STEM OPT Filing Checklist, Frequently Asked Questions, and How to Maintain your F-1 Status while on active STEM OPT.

STEM OPT Checklist

USCIS now allows STEM OPT Extension applications to be filed online. You have the option to submit your application via regular mail or file online. This webpage will guide you through the application requirement for your STEM OPT Application to USCIS.

STEM OPT Checklist and Instructions
A nighttime view of the Student Housing and University Center

Apply for STEM OPT Extension Online

Using the online I-765 to apply for STEM OPT Extension.

Apply for STEM OPT Extension Online
ISSS: Apply for STEM OPT Extension Online


Many of the questions you may have about requesting, filing for, or participating in STEM OPT can be answered on our Frequently Asked Questions Page.

Photo of Edwin A Stevens building

ISSS: STEM OPT Employment and Reporting Requirements

Once you are on active STEM OPT, you must follow the STEM OPT Employment and Reporting requirements to maintain your F-1 Status.

STEM OPT Employment and Reporting Requirements
View of New York City from the Stevens campus

EAD Card Replacement

If you have received your EAD card and find that there is an error on the card, such as a name misspelling, birth date error, or the wrong OPT Category was issued, or if you have lost your EAD Card, please refer to the information on this webpage to request a new EAD Card from USCIS.

Apply for a Replacement EAD Card
Students socialize at Castle Point with New York skyline in background.