(Hoboken, N.J – September 3, 2020) – The new Gateway Academic Center at Stevens Institute of Technology has been awarded LEED Gold Certification by the U.S. Green Building Council. This prestigious honor recognizes sustainability across the design, construction and materials used for the building, and highlights the university’s commitment to creating a healthy and green campus.
Breaking ground in 2017, the 89,500-square-foot Gateway Academic Center is comprised of two buildings – South Hall and Gianforte Family Hall – connected by a glass skybridge. With 10 new smart classrooms, 13 labs and 45 faculty offices, the new four-story building will have an impact throughout the Stevens community. The new technology-enabled smart classrooms expand students’ opportunities to learn and provides professors with new possibilities to collaborate and conduct research. The classrooms are also equipped for active video conferencing for online learning.
“The new Gateway Academic Center is an example of our commitment to creating a sustainable campus with spaces that allow our students, faculty and staff to work in a productive and healthy environment that invites collaboration and innovation while mitigating our impact on the environment,” said Robert Maffia, vice president for facilities and campus operations.
Highlights that contribute to the certification include:
- Landfill diversion: During renovation and construction, 79 percent of debris were recycledEnergy efficiency: The Gateway Academic Center’s systems and design result in a 13 percent annual energy cost savings
- Indoor environmental quality: Filtration systems have a minimum efficiency rating of 95 percent and ventilation strategies such as CO2 and intake monitoring and measurement ensure a generous supply of fresh air
- Local materials: For all new materials, priority was given to materials and products that were sourced and manufactured within 500 miles of the project site
- Individualized comfort: Spaces are equipped with thermal and lighting controls to provide indoor environmental comfort and personal control in all work and learning environments
- Water savings: The building uses 40 percent less water compared to the EPA’s baseline water fixture performance requirements
LEED the most widely used green building rating system in the world. Projects are awarded certification based on points earned for various green building strategies, design aspects and materials used. LEED certification recognizes resource- and energy-efficient buildings and an outstanding commitment to sustainability.
Earlier this year, Stevens achieved a STARS Gold rating in recognition of its sustainability achievements from the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE), showcasing the university’s strong dedication to sustainability in both the classroom and campus operations. Highlights that contributed to this honor included a commitment to building all new construction with a minimum standard of LEED Silver; a green commuting program; and graduate and undergraduate sustainability programs.
For more information about Stevens long-standing efforts to create a more sustainable campus, please read Sustainable Stevens: How One Research University Is Planning for a Greener Future.
-- Stevens --
About Stevens Institute of Technology
Stevens Institute of Technology is a premier, private research university situated in Hoboken, New Jersey overlooking the Manhattan skyline. Since our founding in 1870, technological innovation has been the hallmark of Stevens’ education and research. Within the university’s three schools and one college, 7,300 undergraduate and graduate students collaborate closely with faculty in an interdisciplinary, student-centric, entrepreneurial environment. Academic and research programs spanning business, computing, engineering, the arts and other disciplines actively advance the frontiers of science and leverage technology to confront our most pressing global challenges. As Stevens celebrates its 150th anniversary, the university continues to be consistently ranked among the nation’s leaders in career services, post-graduation salaries of alumni, and return on tuition investment.
Stevens media contact: Katie Koch, [email protected], 201-216-5139