Sustainability is a key area that is addressed at Stevens in academic programs and research. It is a multidisciplinary domain of critical importance to our futures, one that we strive to enhance our efforts and their impact. These initiatives strongly align with our Strategic Plan 2012-2022, The Future. Ours to Create.
Stevens embraces sustainability in the functioning of our campus. This provides opportunities for analysis and testing, and for innovation that can engage our students in a very direct way to make a difference. Similarly, through our close relationship with our hometown, the City of Hoboken, our students and researchers are able to work on sustainability projects of value to the community and on related efforts in resilience.
Sustainability in Undergraduate Academics
There are many sustainability-related courses offered at Stevens that undergraduate students can take, either as part of their major program of study as electives, or with focus through our Green Engineering minor program, or even as credit towards a graduate program if they have upper-class status and meet the academic requirements.
- B.E. in Environmental Engineering
- B.E. in Mechanical Engineering – Sustainable Energy Concentration
- B.E. in Civil Engineering – Water Resources Concentration
- Senior Design Projects in disciplines other than the ones mentioned above may have significant sustainability and resilience components. Multidisciplinary senior design projects are encouraged.
Sustainability Graduate Majors
Stevens offers several options in sustainability in through graduate programs and certificates.
Graduate Degree Programs
- M.S. in Sustainability Management
- M.S./MBA Dual Degree Program in Sustainability Management
- M.E. in Environmental Engineering
- M.E. in Coastal Engineering
- PhD in Environmental Engineering
- PhD in Coastal Engineering
- M.E./PhD in Mechanical Engineering
- M.S./M.E./PhD in Nanotechnology
Graduate Certificate Programs
- Environmental Management
- Sustainable Energy Systems
- Nuclear Power Engineering
- Applied Coastal Oceanography
- Atmospheric and Environmental Science and Engineering
- Environmental Compatibility and Engineering
- Environmental Hydrology
- Environmental Processes
- Inland and Coastal Environmental Hydrodynamics
- Ocean Engineering
- Soil and Groundwater Pollution Control
- Surface Water Hydrology
- Water Resources Engineering
- Water Quality Control
- Urban Resilience
- Urban Systems Informatics