In the 21st century, software-centric systems are everywhere. From embedded systems (smart phones, automobiles) to healthcare systems to financial systems, software is a central feature of all the systems that society today depends upon.
To design, develop and maintain increasingly complex software-centric systems, the world needs engineers with an education strongly rooted in the fundamentals of engineering and science who have the application-driven acumen to engineer software systems that are not only safe and secure, but also meet the needs of the modern marketplace. The School of Systems & Enterprises' (SSE's) four-year software engineering degree program, composing 141-credit hours provides students with a rigorous general engineering undergraduate education with depth in software engineering and systems engineering principles.
Students enrolled in the program are taught to analyze, architect, design and develop software as the fundamental component that allows complex systems to function with intelligence, efficiency and resilience. With the pursuit of the Bachelor's of Engineering (B.E.) in software engineering, students also have the opportunity to obtain a degree with a concentration in strategic domains such as cybersecurity, financial systems, healthcare systems and sustainable energy. Upon graduating, our students, who are encouraged to participate in the many co-op, internships and research initiatives with leading companies available to them at Stevens, are equipped to be the technical leaders of tomorrow—leaders who can build complex 21st century systems in multiple domains.
SSE also offers a minor in software engineering for students who are interested in studying software engineering, but may wish to work toward another major.
- Learn to design, engineer and build software components for complex systems by applying the principles and practices of engineering
- Understand all aspects of the software life cycle—from specification through analysis and design, to testing maintenance and evaluation of the product
- Communicate with engineers of all disciplines in the languages and methods of those engineers
- Understand the overall systems context of engineering projects and apply systems thinking in designing solutions that integrate components of different types, such as hardware, software and people
Armed with a strong software and systems foundation, graduates from the program can assume professional positions of increasing responsibility across a broad range of industries, such as: healthcare, technology, business, finance, manufacturing and information systems, in roles such as:
- Software and Systems Architect
- Software and System Engineer
- Software Programmer, Developer and Tester
- Requirements Engineer
- Project Leader
- Senior Computer Applications Engineer
- Software developer is ranked as the best technology job in America by the U.S. News & World Report
- Co-ops/internships available at companies such as Lockheed Martin, Rockwell Collins and Citigroup
- NYC has 10,000+ openings for software engineers every day
- The SSW program is applying for accreditation by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org, in 2021.