In the 21st century, software-centric systems are everywhere. From embedded systems (smart phones, automobiles) to healthcare systems to financial systems, software is a central feature of all the systems that society today depends upon.
To design, develop and maintain these increasingly complex software-centric systems, the world needs engineers who are strongly rooted in the fundamentals of engineering and science as well as have the knowledge to engineer software systems that meet the needs of the market place, and are safe and secure.
Offered jointly by the School of Systems & Enterprises and the School of Engineering & Science at Stevens, the bachelor of engineering in software engineering is the first program in the US which meets both the software engineering undergraduate curriculum standards and an ABET accredited general engineering curriculum.
The four-year degree program composing 141-credit hours provides students with a rigorous general engineering undergraduate education with depth in both software engineering and systems engineering.
Students enrolled in the program are taught to analyze, architect, design and develop software as the fundamental component that allows complex systems to function with intelligence, efficiency and resilience. Furthermore, students have the opportunity to get a degree in software engineering with concentration in strategic domains such as: Financial Systems, Healthcare Systems, Cyber Security and Sustainable Energy. They are also encouraged to participate in co-op, internships and research opportunities with leading companies.
On graduating, students are equipped to be the technical leaders of tomorrow- leaders who can build complex 21st century systems in multiple domains.
- Learn to design, engineer and build software components for complex systems by applying the principles and practices of engineering
- Understand all aspects of the software life cycle - from specification through analysis and design, to testing maintenance and evaluation of the product
- Communicate with engineers of all disciplines in the languages and methods of those engineers
- Understand the overall systems context of engineering projects and apply systems thinking in designing solutions that integrate components of different types, such as hardware, software and people
Armed with a strong software and systems foundation, graduates from the program can assume professional positions of increasing responsibility across a broad range of industries, such as: healthcare, technology, business, finance, manufacturing and information systems, in roles such as:
- Software and Systems Architect
- Software and System Engineer
- Software Programmer, Developer and Tester
- Requirements Engineer
- Project Leader
- Senior Computer Applications Engineer
- Software Developer is ranked as the best technology job in America by the US News & World Report
- Co-ops/Internships available at companies such as Lockheed Martin, Rockwell Collins and Citigroup
- Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a 30% growth in software engineering jobs from 2010 through 2020 (1.85M to 2.4M)
- NYC has 10,000+ openings for software engineers every day