How to Get Certified as an Inclusive leader
Training 25 hours:
- First-year Introduction to Inclusive Leadership (congrats on completing it)
- Inclusive Leadership Workshops, Training, and Events (25 hours over 3-5 semesters)
- School of Business workshops and speaker events
- University DEI training, workshops
- Other relevant events and training
Reflection (portfolio development):
-Documentation of your efforts, experiments and experiences
-A personal inclusive leadership statement
-Real-world contributions to inclusion, through senior design projects, service-learning projects, relevant course projects, etc.
Reflection - Post Event
• Event name, date and time spent
• 2-4 paragraphs describing your takeaways
Simple Reflection e.g.
• Something new you learned
• Something you already knew that was confirmed
• A personal reaction or feeling related to your attendance/participation
Critical Reflection e.g
• Attempts to examine your underlying assumptions, values, beliefs in relation to what you experienced/did
• 1-2 things you will commit to doing based upon your participation
• Follow up learning
• 1-2 pages
• A summary of your key learnings and insights throughout your certification work
• Examples of how you tried to put inclusive leadership principles into practice (not necessarily whether or not you were successful)
• What worked?
• What was challenging?
• What surprised you?
• What did not go well?
• Your Inclusive leadership statement
Your Inclusive Leadership Statement
1 - 4 sentences describing
• Your definition of inclusive leadership
• Key values or guiding principles for you
• Specific outcomes or goals toward which you will work. Examples include:
• How you want to impact others
• Things you will do to shape/impact inclusion within the organizations you are a part of
• How you will continue learning
• What you want to be known for/how you want to be regarded in 5-10 years because of your commitment to inclusive leadership
Application - Inclusive Leadership in Practice
A description of a project or initiative you undertook to apply inclusive leadership principles:
• A project or assignment that is part of a particular course
• Something you did as a member of a club, team or other student organization
• A student design project
• Related volunteer work on or off campus
• Concerted learning efforts beyond the 25 hours required for certification
• Facilitation work in support of the Inclusive Leadership Certificate Program
University DEI Programming That Counts
Anti-Racist Leadership: Part 1
Anti-Racist Leadership: Part 2
Cross-Cultural Communication & Conflict Resolution
Gender Identity & Equity
LinkedIn Learning Modules
This curated list of LinkedIn Learning modules is another set of training programs available to you. They too can count toward your certification training hour requirements.
• Inclusive Mindset (55 mins) – Dereca Blackmon, CEO of Inclusion Design Group
• Communicating About Culturally Sensitive Issues (55 mins) – Daisy Lovelace, Professor, Consultant, Coach
• Skills for Inclusive Conversations (53 mins) – Mary-Frances Winters, Founder and CEO of the Winters Group, Inc.
• Confronting Bias: Thriving Across Our Differences (40 mins) – Vernā Myers, Inclusion Strategist, Cultural Innovator, Lawyer, Author
• Leading Your Org on a Journey of Allyship (28 mins) – Vernā Myers, Inclusion Strategist, Cultural Innovator, Lawyer, Author
• Unconscious Bias (24 mins) – Stacey Gordon, Founder and CEO of Rework Work
• Inclusive Mindset for Committed Allies (23 mins) – Dereca Blackmon, CEO of Inclusion Design Group
• Driving Change and Antiracism (15 mins) – Kwame Christian, Director of the American Negotiation Institute
Also Consider Mindfulness
Register for Headspace at bit.ly/StevensHeadspace
• It is free to all in the School of Business