Employment and Reporting on Pre- or Post-Completion OPT

Once your Pre- or Post-Completion OPT Application has been approved and you have received your EAD Card, it is important to maintain your F-1 Status throughout your OPT Period.

Updating your employment with ISSS or with SEVP

Students must update ISSS or SEVP within 10 days upon the following events:

  • Receiving initial employment on OPT

  • Changing jobs while on OPT

  • Reporting unemployment while on OPT

Employment Updates

Name, Phone, or Address Changes

Reporting Unemployment while on OPT

Students on OPT are permitted 90 days of unemployment during the 12-month period of OPT.

After 90 days of unemployment, you are out of status. You should depart the U.S. on or before the 90th day of unemployment. Once you depart the U.S. you should contact ISSS so we can complete your SEVIS record.

F-1 OPT Job Duties – Sample Explanations

All employment while on post-completion OPT must be related to your degree program. While on the STEM OPT extension, employment must be directly related to the degree that qualifies you for the extension. You are responsible for explaining the direct relationship between the job and your degree.

** These are sample explanations to help guide you. Do not copy the samples for your own use. **

Sample Explanations from SEVP Policy Guidance issued on September 27, 2019.

Active OPT Employment Resources

Use the resources below to learn about maintain your F-1 Status while on OPT.

OPT Employer Update Form

If updating your employment information with ISSS, please submit this form and copies of the front and back of your EAD Card to [email protected] for processing

Update your Post-Completion OPT Employment Information
woman with laptop taking notes

SEVP Portal

If updating information in the SEVP Portal, please review the information on this webpage.

SEVP Portal
Groups of students working on a patio overlooking the lower Manhattan skyline. Two male students look at laptops in the foreground.

OPT Work Authorization Frequently Asked Questions

Many of the questions you may have about updating employment while on OPT can be answered on our OPT Work Authorization FAQ page.

OPT Work Authorization Frequently Asked Questions
The New York City skyline as seen from the Babbio Center at Stevens Institute of Technology.

EAD Card Replacement

If you have received your EAD card and find that there is an error on the card, such as a name misspelling, birth date error, or the wrong OPT Category was issued, or if you have lost your EAD Card, please refer to the information on this webpage to request a new EAD Card from USCIS.

Apply for a Replacement EAD Card
Students socialize at Castle Point with New York skyline in background.