J-2 Dependents

J-2 Dependents

Dependents (spouse or minor child) accompanying or wishing to join a J-1 Exchange Visitor (EV) must be issued a J-2 dependent DS-2019 and apply for a J-2 visa. The following documents are required when requesting a J-2 dependent DS-2019:

  1. The completed Request for Dependent Form I-20 or DS-2019

  2. Passport identification page for each dependent

  3. Proof of relationship, translated into English (marriage or birth certificate)

  4. Proof of funding for each dependent. The minimum

    per month amounts needed are $500 for a spouse and $400 per child in J-2 dependent status.

J-2 Dependent Employment Information

A J-2 visa holder, a dependent of a J-1 Exchange Visitor (EV), is eligible to apply for employment authorization from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work in the U.S., provided that the dependent is not looking to support the J-1 EV. Employment may begin once the employment authorization has been granted by USCIS and the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) has been issued and received by the J-2 dependent. To learn more about current USCIS processing times, please visit the USCIS webpage