Inviting Someone to Visit You

If a friend or family member wants to visit you in the U.S. to attend your graduation ceremony, sightsee, or just spend time with you, you will need to write your friend/family member an invitation letter and gather accompanying documents to send to that person so that she or he can apply for a visa.

Step-by-Step Guide:

  1. Download the form letter here, and save it on your computer.

  2. Wherever you see information in bold like this, you must remove the words in bold and input your own information.

  3. Once you have completed the letter, print it out on plain white paper; Stevens letterhead is not needed and will not be provided by ISSS for this purpose.

  4. Sign the letter in blue ink where you see “[Your Signature].”

  5. Send the letter to your friend/family member as a scan or original (preferred) by mail.

  6. Along with the letter, you should provide the following to your friend/family member:

  • Everyone: Send copies of your I-20 and passport ID page (with your picture).

  • If you are a current student (even if you are graduating this semester), send a copy of your official transcript. You can request this from the Registrar's Office.

  • If you are graduating, send proof of your graduation-- a Letter of Expected Completion. You can request this from the Registrar (graduate students).If you are on OPT, send a copy of your EAD (front and back) and offer letter for your current job.

If your family members/friends would like information on applying for a visitor visa, please refer them to the Department of State's website here. Unfortunately, ISSS cannot advise on visitor visas.