International students requesting visa sponsorship must demonstrate sufficient funds to cover Stevens’ estimated expenses for the first year of study (F-1 students) or for the entire length of program (J-1 students), as required by the U.S. government. The ability of students to demonstrate that they will not become a public charge or resort to unauthorized employment in the U.S. for financial support is essential. Information about Stevens’ estimated expenses may be found on the Stevens Graduate or Undergraduate Financial Verification Form. The financial documents submitted to Stevens for the purpose of securing an I-20 (F-1 visa) or a DS-2019 (J-1 visa) will also be required in their original form when applying for a student visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad, and when passing through Customs at the U.S. port of entry. At the time of the visa application, students will be required to present evidence of sufficient funds for the first academic year, and at the discretion of the consular officer, may also be asked to demonstrate that equal funding will be made available for every year of study in the United States. Student applying for a J-1 visa will be expected to present evidence of sufficient funds for the entire length of study. Financial guarantee documents can come from various sources as outlined below.
Financial Documentation Requirements
- All documents must be submitted on the student's online admissions Application Status page.
- Photocopies can be provided with the understanding that originals may be requested if necessary.
All financial documents must be the most recent document for the account, issued within 10 months of your program start date in the U.S.
- Documents must show liquid assets that can be immediately converted to U.S. dollars. Liquid funds are defined as money that is immediately accessible without any restrictions or penalties. A U.S.-based money market account is acceptable if it can be withdrawn immediately as cash in U.S. Dollars.
- Cash in a savings or checking bank account must exceed of required estimated expenses.
- Joint accounts must include a Stevens Graduate or Undergraduate Financial Verification Form signed by all account holders.
- All documents must be English.
- Official online bank statements are acceptable if they include the bank's letterhead or logo. Unofficial printouts of screens from an online banking account will not be accepted.
- All financial document must show the account holder’s name, date, account number, the account type, the current balance, and the type of currency.
Please note current processing time is minimum 10 business days from complete application submission, depending on the volume of I-20 requests.