Documentation Guidelines

The following guidelines apply to academic accommodations. For the procedure to request housing or food allergy accommodations, please visit the Accessible Campus Housing or Dietary Accommodations pages. Students should contact the Office of Disability Services to communicate their accommodation needs as soon as possible. Determinations on individual documentation needs will vary depending on accommodation requests.  

Documentation Guidelines

Any documentation information students can share is helpful. Documentation can include:

Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) or 504 Plans

Recent psychological or psychoeducational evaluations

Letters from doctors or psychologists

Hospital records

For additional guidance, please see the Guidelines for Documentation of a Learning Disability Documentation Form for Mental Health Diagnoses or the Guidelines for Documentation of a Physical, Mobility, or Chronic Medical Disability

The purpose of the third party documentation is to add to the professional staff’s background information so that a reasonable outcome, including acceptance or denial of request, can be obtained. Third party documentation supports or builds on conversation with the student rather than directing the conversation and the outcome.

Therefore, the submission of documentation does not activate services or accommodations. All information obtained through our conversation and paperwork will be used to coordinate reasonable accommodations and services with the student.