Apply for a Replacement EAD Card


In the event your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is lost, stolen, destroyed, or includes an error, a replacement of the card should be requested with USCIS to prevent problems in the future. Filing procedures and documents vary depending on your case.

In all cases, the original EAD with the error will need to be returned, make sure to make a photocopy of the card before doing so. Also make copies of all documents included in your application for your own records and use a trackable mailing service.

Once the corrected EAD is received, please notify ISSS by forwarding front and back copies of the EAD to [email protected].

Replacement EAD Instructions

Replacement EAD Card Checklist