Financial Services Analytics
Commencing in January 2015, the Financial Engineering Division in collaboration with Accenture is offering a graduate certificate in Financial Services Analytics (FSA).
FSA is the science and technology of creating data-driven decision-making analytics for the financial services industry. Data-driven insights and analytics increase the effectiveness of business operations, enhance customer relationships, improve product offerings and improve risk analysis and risk management. The Harvard Business Review refers to data science and analytics as the “sexiest job in the twenty-first century."
Intended to meet the growing global need for professionals with expertise in data analytics, the FSA certificate will empower students with an array of statistical learning methods and database skills in order to create end-to-end business decision making data analytic tools from an enterprise level systems approach.
Students who complete the certificate will gain a substantial competitive edge in pursuing a career as:
- Data Scientist
- Systems Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
- Visualization Designer
- Software Engineer
Curriculum – 15 credits
FE 582 Foundations of Financial Data Science - 2 credits
FE 513 Practical Aspects of Database Design (lab) - 1 credit
FE 590 Introduction to Knowledge Engineering - 3 credits
FE 595 Financial Systems Technology (Analytical Financial Systems Design) - 3 credits
FE 550 Data Visualization Applications - 3 credits
FE 800 Special Projects in Financial Engineering - 3 credits
Students can apply the 15 credits from the FSA certificate towards a Master of Science in Financial Engineering - 30 credits. Learn more about the Master of Science in Financial Engineering at Stevens.
Current Stevens students can apply for the FSA program by completing the Add/Change form. All Stevens students who apply for the FSA program will be considered for the Accenture scholarship.
- Understand different data types such as big data or text data and be able to address specific data extraction, storage and retrieval issues. Learn optimum methods of data representation along with various data scrubbing techniques
- Manage various database techniques such as SQL, Hadoop, and NoSQL
- Learn statistical learning methods and information extraction
- Understand the basics of text analytics and network analysis
- Code various analytical techniques using R or Python
- Create end-to-end business decision-making data analytics along with enterprise level systems thinking
- Optimize financial data visualization techniques
- Completed application for admission
- Students who apply for admission to the certificate program must have an undergraduate degree in an engineering, science, finance or related field and prior coursework in calculus, probability and statistics. Knowledge of a programming language is preferred. Preparatory courses are available
- Students who plan to pursue a Master’s in FE must apply separately and must meet additional prerequisites in differential equations, linear algebra and a programming language
- Official college transcripts from all colleges attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- Full-time students are required to submit GRE or GMAT scores
Classes will be taught in evening in midtown Manhattan, online and at Hoboken campus.
For more information on the FSA program, click on the FAQs or contact Dr. Rupak Chatterjee, FSA Program Director at Rupak.Chatterjee@stevens.edu