The Summer Research Institute (SRI) provides undergraduate and graduate-level students a unique opportunity to participate in an intensive eight-week research program designed to tackle critical issues in maritime domain awareness, emergency response, and maritime system resilience, to enhance our nation's maritime security.
This highly-collaborative, hands-on summer research program emphasizes critical thinking and multidisciplinary research to generate innovative ideas and solutions to address complex maritime security issues.
The program is held annually during the months of June and July. Since the program's inaugural offering in 2010, 103 engineering and science students have engaged in the MSC hosted summer research program.
SRI Program Highlights:
- Students engage in thought-provoking seminars and lectures by MSC researchers, and maritime industry and government homeland security experts.
- Participate in collaborative multidisciplinary, hands-on research, through modeling and simulation projects, data collection, and real-time analysis.
- Engage in field visits to ports, laboratories, and industry and government sites.
- Work as part of a motivated team to prepare final reports and present research findings, and conclusions to MSC researchers and DHS officials.
- Selected team projects will be featured at DHS conferences and meetings.
- Enhanced educational experience through experiential research.
- Engagement in real-world research and analysis as it relates to U.S. maritime and port security.
- Professional development - Verbal and written communications
Criteria for participation:
Undergraduate students must possess an excellent academic record (GPA of 3.0 or better), and currently enrolled in a Science and/or Engineering degree program.
Graduate students must be currently enrolled in a Science and/or Engineering degree program and demonstrate a GPA of 3.5 or better.
Application Process and Deadlines:
Interested students must complete an SRI online application form and submit one letter of recommendation.
The application process for the 2016 SRI will not open until December 2015.
The SRI is held on-campus at Stevens Institute of Technology, in Hoboken, NJ.
For more information, please contact:
Maritime Security Center
Stevens Institute of Technology
Hoboken, NJ 07030