Dr. Woo Lee
|GEORGE MEADE BOND PROFESSOR, CHEMICAL ENGINEERING & MATERIAL SCIENCE, DIRECTOR OF THE CENTER FOR MICROCHEMICAL SYSTEMS|
|Building: Burchard Building|
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Chemical Engineering & Materials Science|
|Program: Materials Science|
|Research Center: New Jersey Center for MicroChemical Systems (NJCMCS) / Center for Healthcare Innovation|
|Laboratory: Woo Lee's Group: Nano-Micro-Bio|
- Ph.D. (Chemical Engineering) - 1990, Georgia Institute of Technology
- M.S. (Chemical Engineering) - 1987, Auburn University
- B.S. (Chemical Engineering) - 1985, University of Maryland
My research interest resides with creating new devices using nanotechnology and microfluidics for transformative use. My group is currently developing: (1) microfluidic-based 3D human tissue and tumor models that can be used for preclinical drug evaluation and personalized medicine and (2) wearable graphene-based biosensors for health monitoring applications. These are student-centric efforts that are aimed at envisioning as well as realizing the transformative use of our devices. My group has produced four winners of the New Jersey Inventors Hall of Fame Graduate Student Award in the past four consecutive years. One of the students co-founded FlexTraPower, Inc. in 2013 to commercialize our inkjet-printed graphene technology for wearable sensor applications. My research is primarily supported by NIH, NSF, and DoD.
- Professor and Department Director, Stevens Institute of Technology
- Research Staff Member, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, July 1992 to July 1997
- Research Scientist, United Technologies Research Center, February 1990 to July 1992
Honors & Awards
- Master of Engineering (Honoris Causa): Stevens Institute of Technology, 2008
- Academic Research Award: Printed Electronics USA Conference, 2011.
- Fellow: The American Ceramic Society since 2004.
- Government Panels: NSF-DMR, NIH-ISD, NIH-NIAID, ESF-Graphene
- Member: AAAS, ACerS, BEMS, Tau Beta Pi, Omega Chi Epsilon
- List of Ph.D. Advisees:
- Prof. Ying Zhang, Tennessee Technological University
- Dr. Gi-Youl Kim, Genus
- Prof. Hao Li, University of Missouri - Columbia
- Dr. Jinil Lee, Samsung Electronics
- Dr. Limin He, Aerospace Materials Research Center, China
- Dr. Yi-Feng Su, Florida State University
- Prof. Haibiao Chen, Beijing University
- Dr. Hongwei Qiu, Leidos
- Dr. Joung-Hyun “Helen” Lee, Columbia University
- Dr. Andrew Inhen, Naval Air Warfare Center
- Dr. Yexin Gu, iCell Bioscience
Patents & Inventions
- U.S. Patent 8810996
- U.S. Patent 8936689
- U.S. Patent 7238420
- U.S. Patent 6808760
- U.S. Patent 6322889
- U.S. Patent 5843533
- U.S. Patent 5709936
- U.S. Patent 5672420
- U.S. Patent 4920086
- D. Kong, L.T. Le, Y. Li, J.L. Zunino, and W.Y. Lee. (2012). "Temperature-Dependent Electrical Properties of Graphene Inkjet-Printed on Flexible Materials", Langmuir, (28), 13467−13472.
- A. C. Ihnen, A.M. Petrock, T. Chou, B.E. Fuchs, and W.Y. Lee. (2012). "Organic Nanocomposite Structure Tailored by Controlling Droplet Coalescence during Inkjet Printing", ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, (4), 4691−4699.
- H. Qiu, V. Stepanov, T. Chou, A. Surapaneni, A. R. Di Stasio, and W.Y. Lee. (2012). " Single-Step Preparation and Formulation of HMX Nanocrystals", Powder Technology, (226), 235-238.
- X. Chen, Y. Gu, J.-H., Lee, W.Y. Lee, and H. Wang. (2012). "Multifunctional Biomimetic Surfaces for Infection Control and Bone Tissue Formation", European Cells and Materials, (24), 237-248.
- J.-H. Lee, Y. Gu, H. Wang, and W. Y. Lee. (2012). "Microfluidic 3D Bone Tissue Model for High-Throughput Evaluation of Wound-Healing and Infection-Preventing Biomaterials", Biomaterials. (33), 999-1006.
- Y. Gu, X. Chen, J.-H. Lee, D. Monteiro, H. Wang, and W.Y. Lee. (2012). "Inkjet-Printed Antibiotic- and Calcium-Eluting Bioresorbable Nanocomposite Micropatterns for Orthopaedic Implants", Acta Biomaterialia, (8), 424-431.
- A.C Ihnen, A.M. Petrock, T. Chou, P.J. Samuels, B.E. Fuchs, and W.Y. Lee. (2011). "Crystal Morphology Variation in Inkjet-Printed Organic Materials", Applied Surface Science, (258), 827-833.
- L.T. Le, M.H. Ervin, H. Qiu, B.E. Fuchs, and W.Y. Lee. (2011). "Graphene Supercapacitor Electrodes Fabricated by Inkjet Printing and Thermal Reduction of Graphene Oxide", Electrochemistry Communications, (13), 355-358.
- J.-H. Lee, H. Wang, J.B. Kaplan, and W.Y. Lee. (2011). "Microfluidic Approach to Create 3D Tissue Models Biofilm Related Infection of Orthopaedic Implants", Tissue Engineering C: Methods, (17), 39-48.
- H. Qiu, T. Chou, V. Stepanov, A. Di Stasio, and W.Y. Lee. (2011). "RDX-based Nanocomposite Microparticles for Significantly Reduced Shock Sensitivity", J. of Hazardous Materials, (185), 489-493.
- J.-H. Lee, H. Wang, J.B. Kaplan, and W.Y. Lee. (2010). "Effects of S. epidermidis on Osteoblast Adhesion and Viability on Ti Alloy Surface in Microfluidic Co-Culture Environment", Acta Biomaterialia, (6), 4422-4429.
- A.C. Ihnen, J.-H. Lee, and W.Y. Lee. (2010). "Effects of Disordered Hemispherical Micropatterns on Staphylococcus epidermidis Biofilm Formation", Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, (75), 601-607.
- J.-H. Lee, J. B. Kaplan, and W. Y. Lee. (2008). "Microfluidic devices for studying growth and detachment of Staphylococcus epidermidis biofilms", Biomedical Microdevices, 110 489-498.
- Y.-F. Su and W. Y. Lee. (2008). "Synthesis of Dense and Uniform Silicate Coating Microstructure by Layer-by-Layer Self-Assembly of Yb2O3 and SiO2 Particles", Surface Coating Technology, (202), 3661-3668.
- Y.-F. Su, H. Kim, S. Koven, and W. Y. Lee. (2007). "Continuous Nanoparticle Production by Microfluidic-Based Emulsion, Mixing, and Crystallization", Journal of Solid State Chemistry, (180), 2625-2629.
- P. R. Deduc, M. S. Wong, P. M. Ferreira, R. E. Groff, K. Haslinger, M. P. Koonce, W. Y. Lee, J. C. Love, J. A. McCammon, N.A. Monteiro-Riviere, V. M. Rotello, G. W. Rubloff, R. Westervelt, and M. Yoda. (2007). "Towards an In Vivo Biologically Inspired Nanofactory", Nature Nanotechnology, (2), 3-7 .
- H. Chen and W. Y. Lee. (2007). " Synthesis of Cellular Silica Structure under Microchannel Confinement", J. Am. Ceram. Soc., (90), 36-43 .
- H. Qiu and W. Y. Lee. (2006). " Infiltration and Immobilization of Catalyst Particles into the Confined Space of Microstructured Reactors via Layer-by-Layer Self-Assembly", Applied Catalysis A, (314), 200-207 .
- H. Qiu, S. Sukhishvili, and W.Y. Lee. (2006). "Layer-by-Layer Self-Assembly of Ceramic Particles as a Non-line-of-Sight Technique for Coating Complex Shape Substrates", J. Am. Ceram. Soc, 89 (4), 1180-87 .
- Y.-F Su, H. Chen, and W. Y. Lee. (2005). "Abnormal Grain Growth and Crystallization during Rapid Annealing of Sol-Gel Alumina Thin-film Deposited on Ni-based Superalloy", J. Am. Ceram. Soc, (88), 3235-37 .
- H. Chen, L. Bednarova, R. S. Besser, and W. Y. Lee. (2005). "Surface-Selective Infiltration of Thin-film Catalyst into Microchannel Reactors", Applied Catalysis A, (286), 186-195 .
- H. Qiu, K. Martus, W.Y. Lee, and K. Becker. (2004). "Hydrogen Generation in a Microhollow Cathode Discharge in High-Pressure Ammonia-Argon Gas Mixtures", Int. J. Mass Spectrom, (233), 19-24 .
CHE 342 Heat and Mass Transfer
BME 342 Transport in Biological Systems
MT 602 Principles of Inorganic Materials Synthesis