|ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING|
|Building: McLean Hall|
|Email: [email protected]|
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Biomedical Engineering, Chemistry and Biological Sciences|
|Program: Biomedical Engineering|
- B.Sc., McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, Physics, 1987
- M.Sc., Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, Physics, 1989
- Certificate, MTS Systems, Eden Prairie, MN, USA, TestStar/Testing,1992
- Certificate, Catonsville Community College, Baltimore, MD, USA, AutoCad12/Design, 1995
- Ph.D., Biomedical Eng. Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ, USA
Director of the OTTER lab. (McLean B-5)
Laboratory Mission: To conduct research toward the generation of bone for clinical implantation while providing a foundation for education and training for the next generation of biomedical engineers in orthopaedics.
See our recent Bone Poster.
- 08/06 – Present:
- Position:Test Engineer, Spinal Biomechanics
- Location:NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, Dept. of Orthopaedics – Spine Service, NY, USA
- 06/05 – Present:
- Position:Director of Engineering, Chief Financial Officer
- Location:Clinical Engineering Services, Inc., PA, USA
- 01/05 – Present:
- Position:Adjunct Instructor of Biomedical Engineering
- Location:The Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken,NJ,USA
- 01/04 – Present:
- Position: Research Fellow, Maurice Kanbar Biomedical Engineering Center
- Location:The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, New York, NY, USA
- 04/02 – Present:
- Position:Biomechanics Consultant
- Location:Stryker Spine, Motion Preservation Unit, Summit, NJ, USA
- 04/02 – 08/06:
- Position:Director of Engineering, Orthopaedic Spine Center
- Location:Department of Surgery, Lutheran Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY, USA
- 09/97 – 04/02:
- Position:Senior Biomedical Research Engineer, Biomaterials Testing and Evaluation Laboratory
- Location:Department of Biomedical Engineering, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
- 09/91 - 09/97:
- Position:Research Engineer / Laboratory Supervisor, Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory
- Location:Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
- 12/90 - 09/91:
- Position:Research Engineer, Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory
- Location: Department of Orthopaedic Surgery - Spine Division, The Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Honors & Awards
- Queen's University Reinhart Research Scholarship - 1988
- Queen's University Reinhart Research Scholarship - 1989
Patents & Inventions
2 8,252,001: Apparatus and methods for inter-operative verification of appropriate spinal prosthesis size and placement
4 8,110,004: Expandable interbody fusion cage with rotational insert
14 7,198,643: Cervical disc replacement
17 6,997,955: Cervical disc replacement
18 6,997,954: Cervical disc replacement method
19 6,994,729: Cervical disc replacement
20 6,994,728: Cervical disc replacement method
21 6,972,038: Cervical disc replacement
22 6,972,037: Cervical disc replacement
23 6,908,484: Cervical disc replacement
24 6,810,753: Displacement transducer
- Ergun-Butros A, Yu X, Valdevit A, Ritter AB, Kalyon DM. (2012). "Radially and axially-graded multi-zonal scaffolds targeting critical-sized bone defects from polycaprolactone/hydroxyapatite/tricalcium phosphate.", Tissue Eng Part A. , 18 (23), 2426-36.
- Ergun A, Chung R, Ward D, Valdevit A, Ritter A, Kalyon DM. (May 2012). "Unitary bioresorbable cage/core bone graft substitutes for spinal arthrodesis coextruded from polycaprolactone biocomposites. ", Ann Biomed Eng., 40 (5), 1073-87.
- Ergun A, Yu X, Valdevit A, Ritter A, Kalyon DM. (Dec 1, 2011). "In vitro analysis and mechanical properties of twin screw extruded single-layered and coextruded multilayered poly(caprolactone) scaffolds seeded with human fetal osteoblasts for bone tissue engineering.", J Biomed Mater Res A. , 99 (3), 354-66.
- Stieber J; Quirno M; Kang M; Valdevit A; Errico T. (2011). "The Facet Joint Loading Profile of a Cervical Intervertebral Disc Replacement Incorporating a Novel Saddle-Shaped Articulation. ", J Spinal Disord Tech, 24 (7), 432-6.
- Verma K, Lonner BS, Kean KE, Dean LE, Valdevit A. (2011). "Maximal pulmonary recovery after spinal fusion for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: how do anterior approaches compare?", Spine, 36 (14), 1086-95.
- Kamerlink JR; Engel I; Patwardhan A; Valdevit A; Lowery G; Brayda-Bruno M; Zeller R; Errico TJ. (Jan 2010). "The treatment of vertebral and chest wall deformities with expandable thoracoplasty and a prosthetic expandable implant. ", Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. , 30 (1), 90-98.
- Quirno M; Kamerlink JR; Valdevit A; Kang M; Yaszay B; Duncan N; Boachie-Adjei O; Lonner BS; Errico TJ. (Jun 15, 2009). "Biomechanical Analysis of a Disc Prosthesis Distal to a Scoliosis Model", Spine, 34 (14), 1470-5.
- (2009). "Assessment of Factors Predictive Of Post-Operative Infection in 941 Spinal Deformity Patients", American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) 2010.
- Rajadhyaksh, A; Kamerlink J; Xavier S; Knee E; Valdevit A; Errico T. (2009). "Determination of Prosthesis Migration and Stability in Three Lumbar Total Disc Arthroplasty Designs", American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) 2010.
- Verma K; Kamerlink J; Xavier S; Ialenti M; Valdevit A; Feldman D; Dryer J; Lonner B; Errico T.. (2009). "Predictors of operative blood loss in patients with neuromuscular scoliosis undergoing spinal fusion.", IMAST 2009; NASS 2009; Global Spine Conference (GSC) 2009.
- Kamerlink J; Verma K; Xavier S; Ialenti M; Valdevit A; Feldman D; Dryer J; Lonner B; Errico T.. (2009). "Cost analysis of neuromuscular scoliosis correction surgery in 73 consecutive cases. ", IMAST 2009; NASS 2009; Global Spine Conference (GSC) 2009.
- Verma K; Dean LE; Vecchione; Valdevit A; Kean KE; Auerbach JD; Lonner BS. (2009). "Comprehensive Assessment of Factors Predictive Of Post-Operative Infection in 942 Patients: Can We Identify Patients at Greatest Risk? ", IMAST 2009; NASS 2009; Global Spine Conference (GSC) 2009.
- Verma K; Valdevit A; Dean L; Kean K; Xavier S; Auerbach J; Lonner B. (2009). "Maximal pulmonary recovery after spinal fusion for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: does surgical approach have a lasting effect? ", IMAST 2009; NASS 2009.