The Master of Science in Software Engineering prepares students to work at any stage of the software development life cycle. This includes eliciting project requirements, writing algorithms, development, validating that the software is meeting its intended purpose and verifying that it is safe, secure and dependable. Software engineers focus on how a software project is performing by understanding software development lifecycles, different software development processes, estimation techniques and measurement, and risk management.
At Stevens, our students learn to ensure the delivery of reliable software and how to provide high-quality technical leadership. Students gain practical experience through the curriculum and through a two-semester project based studio course.
The master's degree consists of 8 required core courses and 2 electives. Students are encouraged to take an integrated four-course sequence leading to a graduate certificate for the four electives.
Required Core Courses
- SSW 540 Fundamentals of Software Engineering
- SSW 555 Agile Methods for Software Development Method
- SSW 564 Software Requirements Analysis and Engineering
- SSW 565 Software Architecture and Component-Based Design
- SSW 567 Software Testing, Quality Assurance and Maintenance
- SSW 533 Cost Estimation and Measurement
- SSW 690 Software Engineering Studio (Phase 1)
- SSW 695 Software Engineering Studio (Capstone - Phase 2)
Electives must be approved by advisor and can be chosen from software engineering, engineering management or computer science. Students with extensive experience in software engineering may be able to substitute additional elective courses for some required courses, with the approval of their graduate studies advisor. Most students in the master’s program come with a solid foundation in software programming and discrete mathematics, but students may also use their electives to take ramp courses in these areas.
A complete listing of all available software engineering graduate courses can be found in the academic catalog.