A minor in mathematics can be a valuable qualification for students concentrating in other fields of science and engineering. Successful completion of a minor program is recognized on the transcript and with a Minor Certificate at graduation. A student wishing to pursue a minor in mathematics must complete a Minor Program Study Plan signed by the department's minor advisor. A complete description of the minor requirements is included below.
- MA 221 Differential Equations
- MA 222 Probability and Statistics
- MA 227 Multivariable Calculus
- MA 232 Linear Algebra
- MA 234 Complex Variables with Applications
- One elective at 300 or above chosen with the consent of the Department advisor.
The following are prerequisites needed to undertake the minor program:
- MA 115 Calculus I
- MA 116 Calculus II
General requirements for minor programs in engineering or science:
- Entry to a minor program requires a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- A student wishing to pursue a minor program must complete a Minor Program Study Plan signed by a Minor Advisor from the relevant discipline. Each minor requires a separate study plan and a student can earn no more than two minors in engineering and science.
- The minor program must be in a discipline other than that of a student's major program of study. As such, minors are distinguished from options within the major discipline or concentrations within the chosen Major Program.
- The minor program will consist of a coherent sequence of at least six courses. A minimum of two courses (minimum six credits) must be in addition to those courses required to complete a student's major degree program (which includes general education courses).
- In order for a course to count towards a minor, a grade of C or above must be achieved. At the discretion of the Minor Advisor, transfer credits may be applied to a minor, but these must constitute fewer than half of those applied to the minor program.
- To receive the minor at graduation, the student must complete a Minor Candidacy Form signed by the Minor Advisor after all minor requirements are fulfilled.