Currently at VIEL, research efforts are orchestrated along two major directions:
- Data networking: our objective is to effectively solve the two major challenges of today's Internet — quality of service and security. We are investigating the approach with joint (or cross-layer) designs of various networking components, including source coding, channel coding, encryption, routing, queuing, and media access control.
- Data analysis: our goal is to effectively extract useful information from rich media content. We are applying signal processing, statistics and pattern recognition techniques on various visual information to perform detection, classification, segmentation, archiving, as well as distributed decision based on data networks.
- Image and video compression
- Multimedia streaming over mobile ad hoc networks
- Information assurance and network security
- Image analysis
- Medical imaging and bioinformatics