The application of the principles by which engineers have a positive impact on sustainability is known as sustainable engineering or, more colloquially, green engineering.
Sustainable engineering resonates with resurging interest in the environmental impact of human activity and the associated “green” approaches in mitigating them. Engineering undergraduates can earn a minor in green engineering which provides a holistic, systems perspective to the impact of human activity on the environment, including the role of engineering.
The Green Engineering Minor consists of six courses, three of which are required as core. These core courses comprise a two-course technical foundation (Sustainable Engineering and Sustainable Energy) plus one contextual course (Perspectives in Environmental Management). This is followed by two technical electives which can also provide a sustainable engineering focus area. An elective contextual course completes the minor. It should be noted that some of the courses taken towards the minor might also be applicable to meet Humanities/Social Science as well as General Education course requirements where appropriate.
Green Engineering Minor Requirements
- A minimum of two courses are required beyond those needed to meet the requirements of the student’s BE degree (including general electives)
- A minimum course grade of C in a minor course is required for it to count
- A minimum GPA of 2.5 is required to commence the minor program
Must be an undergraduate engineering junior
The following three core courses are required.
- EN 530 Sustainable Engineering
- E 580 Sustainable Energy
- EN 510/SM 510 Perspective in Environmental Management
Two technical electives are required from the following. The technical electives can create a focus area. A minor technical elective might also be applied to the major degree program if it meets the program's requirements.
CIVIL & STRUCTURES
- CE 304 Water Resources Engineering
- CM 560 Sustainable Design
- CM 561 Green Construction
- PA 5XX Fundamentals of Analysis for Sustainable Building Systems (pending approval)
- EN 375 Environmental Systems
- EN 575 Environmental Biology
- ME 532 Air Pollution Principles and Control
POWER & ENERGY
- ME 510 Power Plant Engineering
- ME 518 Solar Energy: Principles & Applications
NOTE: Capstone Design with significant "green" content can replace a technical elective if approved by the Director of the Green Engineering Minor.
Select one additional contextual elective from the following list:
- EN 587/SM 587 Environmental Law and Management
- HPL 480 Environmental Policy
- HPL 370 Philosophy of Technology
- HPL 380 Environmental Ethics