The Center held its fifth annual Summer Research Institute, from June 2 to July 25, 2014, at the Stevens Institute of Technology campus in Hoboken,NJ.
This summer's program included 18 students representing Stevens Institute of Technology, New York City College of Technology (CITY Tech), Rutgers University and the University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez (UPRM).
Research Projects and Outcomes
Students were assigned to one of the following four research teams:
- Acoustic Vessel Signature Analysis for Automated Vessel Classification
- Magello Emergency Response Tool: End-user Test and Evaluation
- Maritime Incident Scenario Development and LNG Safety and Security
Guest Speakers and Field Visits
Field visits and interactions with industry practitioners are a key facet of the Summer Research Institute. Visits and discussions with practitioners provide students with a contextual framework and practical insight into the real-world implications of their SRI projects and research. During the eight-week program, students had the unique opportunity to participate in field visits to:
- Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at the Port of New York/Newark
- The National Urban Security Technology Laboratory in NYC
- The Office of Emergency Management, Brooklyn, NY
The students also participated in a Port Awareness and Prevention course hosted by the NYPD-Counterterrorism Division.
The program's guest speakers included: Gerhardt Mueller, President, SanSail Institute, and Rae Zimmerman, Professor of Planning and Public Administration, NYU.