Dr. George Calhoun
|DISTINGUISHED SERVICE PROFESSOR |
|Building: Babbio Center|
- Ph.D. (1980) in Social Systems Sciences, from The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
- B.A. with honors (1974) in Oriental Studies, University of Pennsylvania, summa cum laude
- Post-Shannon Communications Architectures
- History and Intellectual Foundations of Information Theories
- Business Models & Corporate Governance
- Hi-Tech Entrepreneurial Trends & the Evolution of Modern Capital Markets
- Managing "Franchise Value," as a cornerstone of Corporate Strategy
Dr. Calhoun has spent 25 years in the high-tech segment of the wireless communications industry. He is a co-founder of InterDigital Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: IDCC), where he was involved for twelve years in the pioneering development of digital cellular technology, including the first systems based on TDMA technology (the architecture underlying approximately 80% of today's cellular networks). InterDigital currently carries a market capitalization of more than $1.5 billion. Subsequently, he was Vice-Chairman of Geotek Communications, and was Chairman of the company's engineering joint venture with the Rafael Armament Development Authority, a branch of the Government of Israel, based in Haifa, to develop a spread spectrum frequency-hopping radio system for fleet radio communications. Most recently, Dr. Calhoun was the Chairman and CEO of Illinois Superconductor Corporation (AMEX: ISO), a public company focused on the application of high-temperature superconducting materials and advanced signal processing techniques to the suppression of interference in wireless networks.
- Member of the Stevens Patent Committee (2004-present)
- Visiting Professor at the Leiden University School of Management in the Netherlands
- Expert Witness for AT&T on various aspects of telecommunications regulation (2007)
- Fact Witness in several high profile patent trials involving digital wireless architecture IP, in the US and the UK (1993-2006)
- Chairman of the Board of Airnet Communications (NASDAQ: ANCC), a smart antenna and software-defined radio technology company (2002-2006)
- Board member, Audit Committee Chairman of ISCO International (formerly Illinois Superconductor Corporation - AMEX: ISO) (1999-present)
- Board member, Audit Committee Chairman of Playlogic Inc. (NASDAQ: PLGC.OB) (2005-present)
Patents & Inventions
U. S. Patent # 5737358 -- "Multiplexed Radio Communication System" -- the foundation patent for frequency-hopping multiple access
- George Calhoun. Third Generation Wireless Communications, Volume 1: Post Shannon Signal Architectures, 2003, Artech House. Download (678 kb PDF).
- George Calhoun. Wireless Access & the Local Telephone Network, 1992, Artech House.
- George Calhoun. Digital Cellular Radio, 1988, Artech House.
- BT 301 Strategy
- BT 302 The Business Model
- BT 401 Capital Structure & Strategy Audit
- QF 101 Quantitative Finance
- QF 102 Basic Financial Tools
- QF 401 Senior Design Research Projects in Quantitative Finance I
- QF 402 Senior Design Research Projects in Quantitative Finance II