NJ-wide Business Pitch Competition | $10,000 Grand Prize
Friday, December 14, 2012 ( All Day)
Location: Stevens Institute of Technology
On May 31, Rising Tide Capital, a Jersey City-based nonprofit organization, launched its newest program called theStart Something Challenge. The Challenge is a business pitch competition for entrepreneurs living in New Jersey, who are or have recently started their own business and are looking to connect to resources, gain exposure for their business, and win up to $10,000. I am including some basic information about the competition and encourage you to share it with your faculty and students. Please let me know if you have any further questions or whether you would like to be added to the Start Something E-mail List, used to distribute the most up-to-date information, news and announcements. You can join by following this link or simply letting me know that would like to be added. I can be reached at 201-432-4316 ext. 110 or at [email protected]
What is The Start Something Challenge?
Rising Tide Capital is challenging NJ’s entrepreneurs to actualize their business ideas through competing in The Start Something Challenge. It’s a free, pitch competition designed to connect NJ entrepreneurs with business resources, networking opportunities, feedback from sector specialists, and a possibility to win $10,000, among other prizes.
Who should participate?
This contest is opened to all small business owners in NJ, who make less than $250,000 a year. Entrepreneurs in the business planning stage, NJ residents looking to start a new business, or individuals who are already in business but are getting ready to launch a new service or product should enter our competition!
It’s a free and easy way to generate new relationships and cash to help start or grow a business. By competing in the Start Something Challenge your business idea will receive valuable feedback from experts and celebrity judges, significant web presence and media exposure, as well a chance to win a business grant!
How does it work?
All you need is a short description and a video of your business idea to get started!
1. Your business description should not be longer than 150 words. Your description should be a combination of the following: business name, what you plan to sell/offer (product or service), who you plan to sell to (target market), and how you plan on doing it (operations, location). Remember, this is just a short description to give us some background information about your business or idea!
2. Use a combination of images, video and text to create a 30-second video promoting your business or idea. This video must be created using the free/lite version of Animoto. Here are some of last year’s submissions to give you an idea of what we’re looking for.
3. Your description and video must be submitted to us by 9/15/2012 . Please include your business sector along with your submission by selecting 1 of our 10 business sectors. If you’re not sure where your business idea fits in let us know, we will be more than happy to help figure it out!
· Clean and Green
· Financial and Professional Services
· Fashion and Beauty
· Information Technology and Communications (ITC)
· Art and Entertainment
· Logistics and Trades
· Real Estate
· Public/Social Entrepreneurship
4. Ideas which are accepted and receive the most video views by 10/1/2012 (Animoto tracks the # of views right next to the video) will move on to the next round, a live pitching event in front of sector experts and celebrity judges in mid-October. The final round of live pitching will take place in mid-November. Three winners will be chosen and honored at our Start Something Challenge Champions Gala on Friday, December 14