Hoboken, NJ – The Center for Innovation in Engineering and Science Education (CIESE) at Stevens was named a 2011 recipient of the prestigious Presidential Awards for Excellence in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Mentoring given annually by the White House. The 11 individuals and 4 organizations to receive the awards this year were announced today by President Barack Obama.
The Presidential Awards for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring (PAESMEM) program seeks to identify outstanding mentoring efforts that enhance the participation of groups that are underrepresented in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. The awardees serve as leaders in the national effort to develop fully the Nation's human resources in these fields.
As reports such as Rising Above the Gathering Storm illustrate, technological innovation plays a paramount role in a robust and growing economy. Yet only about 4 percent of the U.S. population pursues technical education and careers and disproportionately creates jobs for the other 96 percent.
“CIESE is working at the forefront of this problem by developing tools and systems and advancing research to create the human capital our nation needs in the 21st century,” said Dr. George P. Korfiatis, Provost and Interim President at Stevens. “CIESE is a significant national resource.”
“This award is a tremendous honor for CIESE and a testament to the important work that the Center has been doing for more than 20 years,” said Beth McGrath, Executive Director of CIESE and Senior Research Associate at Stevens. “Since 1988, the Center has impacted more than 30,000 educators and hundreds of thousands of students with innovative curricula, professional development programs, and STEM education research in support of CIESE’s mission—to increase the pool, the capabilities, and the diversity of students who pursue STEM education and careers. I’m extremely proud of the work that CIESE—and the dedicated and talented group of individuals who carry out these programs—has done and continues to do.”
McGrath will accept the award on behalf of CIESE at a White House ceremony for the awardees next week.
“These individuals and organizations have gone above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that the United States remains on the cutting edge of science and engineering for years to come,” President Obama said in a release issued by the White House. “Their devotion to the educational enrichment and personal growth of their students is remarkable, and these awards represent just a small token of our enormous gratitude.”
The award will be presented by Dr. John P. Holdren, Assistant to the President for Science and Technology and Director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy.
About the Award
The Presidential Awards for Excellence in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Mentoring (PAESMEM), awarded by the White House each year to individuals or organizations, recognize the crucial role that mentoring plays in the academic and personal development of students studying science or engineering—particularly those who belong to groups that are underrepresented in those fields. By offering their expertise and encouragement, mentors help prepare the next generation of scientists and engineers while ensuring that tomorrow’s innovators reflect the full diversity of the United States.
Candidates for the presidential mentoring award are nominated by colleagues, administrators and students from their home institutions. The mentoring can involve students at any grade level from elementary through graduate school.
About Stevens Institute of Technology
Founded in 1870, Stevens Institute of Technology, The Innovation University™, lives at the intersection of industry, academics and research. The University's students, faculty and partners leverage their collective real-world experience and culture of innovation, research and entrepreneurship to confront global challenges in engineering, science, systems and technology management.
Based in Hoboken, N.J. and with a location in Washington, D.C., Stevens offers baccalaureate, master’s, certificates and doctoral degrees in engineering, the sciences and management, in addition to baccalaureate degrees in business and liberal arts. Stevens has been recognized by both the US Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security as a National Center of Excellence in the areas of systems engineering and port security research. The University has a total enrollment of more than 2,350 undergraduate and 3,600 graduate students with almost 450 faculty. Stevens’ graduate programs have attracted international participation from China, India, Southeast Asia, Europe and Latin America as well as strategic partnerships with industry leaders, governments and other universities around the world. Additional information may be obtained at www.stevens.edu and www.stevens.edu/news.