I have more than 6 years of experience working in colleges and universities teaching & developing technology for college students to become critical thinkers about information and media literacies, using active and problem-based instruction. I am active leader in developing educational resources for online use by all members of the Stevens community.
Pratt Institute, MS, Library & Information Science, 2009, • Beta Phi Mu Theta
Rutgers University, MA (in progress)
New Jersey City University, BA 1990-1994
Web Services Librarian
Stevens Institute of Technology - August 2012 – Present (2 years 9 months)Hoboken, NJ
- Design & manage the Samuel C. Williams Library's web pages and social media.
- Conduct research for human computer interactions
- Develop and Implement usability testing of students, faculty and Stevens Community
- Coordinated collaboration with Marketing and Information Systems for best practices and standards
- Teach library classes in information literacy and critical thinking
- Developed workshops for information searching, accessing and evaluating sources
- Developed instructional media, specifically videos for off-campus student access
- Coordinated the implementation of course-specific library guides using libguides
Reference & Instruction Librarian
Berkeley College - February 2009 – August 2012 (3 years 7 months) NYC, NY
- Liaison to English and General Education Departments
- Active & problem-based learning instruction for onsite and online classes
- Delivered electronic tutorials using Jing and Camtasia screen capturing software.
- Built interactive presentations for online instruction
- Proficient in delivering ACRL Performance Standards and Outcomes for Information Literacy
- Programmed curriculum for online and onsite English courses
- Integrated iClicker devices for instruction and assessment
- Libguides committee member for implementation and development
- Information Literacy Committee member
- Developed and promoted information literacy programs for the college community
Information Architect and Web Designer Internship
Association of College and Research Libraries - Summer 2008
- Designed and upgraded ACRL's Scholarly Communication web page by using open source Drupal content management system;
- Responsible for building community website that integrated many Web 2.0 functions;
- Migrated and organized content from previous standard HTML site to Drupal site
- Conducted competitive analysis, user interviews and arranged card sorting for developing label systems and taxonomies;
- Site launched in November 2008.
Instruction Librarian Internship
Barnard College Library September 2007 - December 2007
- Assisted senior librarian in instructional practices of librarians
- Researched Instructional assessment practices
•Espinel, R., Valenti, A. (2015, January). Roads? Where We're Going, We Don't Need Roads: Paving Your Own Path with Open Source Library Guides. VALE New Jersey Annual Users' Conference 2015. Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey. Breakout session.
•Espinel, R., Beninghove, L., Orlofsky, V.L., Horowitz, E. (2014, January). Flipping the Script: Using Videos as Instructional Tools to Flip the Information Literacy Class. VALE New Jersey Annual Users' Conference 2014. Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey. Breakout session.
•Espinel, R. & Beninghove, L. (2013) Getting Dirty: Students Dig Though Achives to Discover a City and Their University and Create Web-Based Library Media. Poster Presentation at New Jersey Library Association 2013 Conference.
•Espinel, R., Deptula, M., & Wilkins. (2013) Presence and Value of Mobile Apps in the New Jersey Academic Environment . Virtual Academic Library Association Annual User's Conference. January 4, 2013.
•Espinel, R. & Stoler, D. (2012). Search & Destroy: Students as Agents of Knowledge Sharing through Library Displays . A paper given at the First Annual Berkeley College Conference on Reading, Writing and Critical Thinking. October 20, 2012.
• Espinel, R. (2012) Mobility Now! Or the Importance of Developing a Mobile Library Website Poster Presentation. 2012 New Jersey Librarian Association Annual Conference
• Espinel, R. (2010) Non-Linear Learning for A New Generation of Students Poster presentation. Virtual Academic Library Association (VALE) Winter 2010 Conference.
• Co-Chair Technology Committee - New Jersey Library Association-College & University Section
• Member - Association of Colleges & Research Libraries Innovations Committee (2009-2011)
• Member - VALE NJ Users’ Conference Organizing Committee (Fall 2009)
• President - School of Information and Library Science Student Association - 2008 – 2009
•American Library Association (ALA)
•Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL)
•American Society for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T)
• New Jersey Library Assoication