Dr. David G. Belanger
Senior Research Fellow
- B. S., Union College (NY) in Mathematics
- M. S. and Ph.D., Mathematics, Case Western Reserve University
As Chief Scientist AT&T Labs, Dave Belanger was responsible for identifying pre-product technology important to the future of AT&T, evaluating technology, building alignment within AT&T on technology directions, and serving as AT&T liaison to external technical communities, specifically universities, government agencies, and industry laboratories. As V.P. Information, Software &systems research he led research in large-scale and real-time information mining related to operations of a (communications) service business; interactive business; information visualization; scalable, reliable, software systems and new information-based,communications services. It was responsible for delivery and operations of very large-scale (e.g. >petabyte), near real-time service management capabilities to AT&T and its customers. Dave joined AT&T Bell Laboratories in 1979 working in the area of database support for economic analysis — later researching large-scale data and information systems, and program generation for data manipulation systems. He has subsequently led research efforts in software systems and engineering, information mining, and visualization.
Prior to joining AT&T, Dave was on the Mathematics and Computer Science Faculty at University of South Alabama, a consultant for a variety of companies, and co-founder/VP of Gulf Coast Data Systems (a computing services company). He received his B.S. from Union College (NY) in Mathematics, and an M.S. and Ph.D., also in Mathematics, from Case Western Reserve University. Dave was named AT&T Fellow in 2006 honored for a lifetime of outstanding and world-class contributions in the fields of software tools, software systems and information mining. In 2009, Dave received the IEEE Communications Society Industrial Innovation Award for pioneering, innovating, and leading the interdisciplinary execution of information systems that transform massive online data streams into actionable information for service businesses.
Awards and Honors
- IEEE Communications Society Industrial Innovator Award – 2009
- Senior member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- TechAmerica (nee ITAA) Board of Directors 2004 – 2012
- TechAmerica Chair of Commercial Policy Board 2011 - 2012
- Distinguished Engineer Award, Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Board of Advisors at several Universities
- Co-Chair REAL Commission -http://www.techamericafoundation.org/real-commission-appointments
10 Patents Awarded