Online registration will open Friday, March 8 and close Monday, April 29.
The Stevens Math Olympiad is a free mathematics competition for students in grades 3-12 that entails solving mathematical and logical problems, as well as demonstrating a joy and excitement for mathematics. This year's Olympiad is held on Saturday, May 18, 2019 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on the Stevens Institute of Technology campus in Hoboken, New Jersey.
The Olympiad has the following goals:
- To stimulate enthusiasm and a love for mathematics
- To introduce important mathematical concepts to students
- To strengthen mathematical intuition and stimulate creativity and ingenuity
- To attract bright middle and high school students to Stevens Institute of Technology
Students are offered 15 problems to solve over the course of 90 minutes in five divisions: grades 3-4, grades 5-6, grades 7-8, grades 9-10 and grades 11-12.
This outreach activity aligns with and supports permanent weekly math circles at public schools in the local area. The Department of Mathematical Sciences at Stevens piloted its first math circles in the fall of 2017 and is currently expanding to other schools.
An awards ceremony will be held on Saturday, June 8, 2019 to recognize the top scoring students from each division.
|9:30 a.m.||Check-in begins in assigned testing rooms Testing room assignments will be e-mailed to confirmed participants|
|10 a.m.||Math Olympiad testing begins in assigned rooms|
|10:05 a.m.||Welcoming remarks for family members DeBaun Auditorium in Edwin A. Stevens Hall|
|11:15 a.m. - 12 p.m.||Math Olympiad testing ends The Math Olympiad will conclude after testing has been completed, which can range from one to two hours, depending on the student|
|11:15 a.m. - 12 p.m.||Participant pick-up in DeBaun Auditorium All participants will be escorted back to DeBaun Auditorium by a Stevens student, faculty or staff member for pick-up after test completion|
This event is FREE, but participants are required to register for the Math Olympiad and complete the Math Olympiad consent form. Participants must submit ALL pages of the consent form in order for registration to be complete.
Registration will open Friday, March 8 and close Monday, April 29.
Ways to Prepare
Below are some suggested materials for those students looking to do preparation problems ahead of the Stevens Math Olympiad.
- Sample problems from past Stevens Math Olympiads
- The Mathematical Circles Library, which contains a number of volumes on problem solving for various grade levels. These books are not free, but many are reasonably priced.
- Problems and solutions from the American Mathematics Competitions. These problems are for grades 8-12 only but they are freely available. The website also links to further resources for preparing for a mathematics competition.
Stevens Impact Through Mathematics
Learn more about Stevens commitment to develop a passion for mathematics, learning opportunities and student successes' by reading the following Campus and Community news features:
- Math Circles - Stevens Math Circles Radiate Success for Hoboken Students
- 2018 Stevens Math Olympiad - Stevens Math Olympiad Helps Build Community of Young Learners
- Math Circles - Stevens Starts Math Circles to Nurture Young Minds
- 2017 Stevens Math Olympiad - Stevens Inspires New Jersey Students to Think Outside the Box at Math Olympiad
- 2016 Stevens Math Olympiad - Stevens Olympiad Inspires a Competitive Zeal for Math
If you have any questions, please email [email protected].