Registration for this event is now closed.
The Stevens Math Olympiad is a mathematics competition for students in grades 3-12 that entails solving mathematical and logical problems, as well as demonstrating the joy and excitement of mathematics. This year's Olympiad will be held on Saturday, May 19, 2018 from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on the Stevens Institute of Technology campus in Hoboken, New Jersey.
The Olympiad has the following goals:
- To stimulate enthusiasm and a love for mathematics
- To introduce important mathematical concepts to students
- To strengthen mathematical intuition and stimulate creativity and ingenuity
- To attract bright middle and high school students to Stevens Institute of Technology
This outreach activity aligns with and supports permanent weekly Math Circles at public schools in the New York City area. The Department of Mathematical Sciences at Stevens piloted its first Math Circles in the fall of 2017 and is currently expanding to other schools.
|9:30 a.m.||Check-in begins in assigned testing rooms
Testing room assignments have been e-mailed to confirmed participants.
|10 a.m.||Math Olympiad testing begins in assigned rooms|
|10:05 a.m.||Welcoming remarks for parents
Nariman Farvardin, President, Stevens Institute of Technology
DeBaun Auditorium, Edwin A. Stevens Building
|11:15 a.m.-12 p.m.||Math Olympiad testing ends
The Math Olympiad will conclude after testing has been completed, which can range from one to two hours, depending on the student.
Students will be offered 15 problems to solve over the course of 90 minutes in five divisions: grades 3-4, grades 5-6, grades 7-8, grades 9-10, and grades 11-12. Within two weeks of the event, winners will be notified of their results via email. An awards ceremony will be held Saturday, June 9 to recognize the winners.
This event is FREE, but participants were required to register and complete the consent form below. Registration is now closed for this event.
2018 Math Olympiad consent form
All pages of this form must be completed and submitted during registration.
Ways to Prepare
Below are some suggested materials for those students looking to do preparation problems ahead of the Stevens Math Olympiad.
- Sample problems from the past Stevens Math Olympiads
- The Mathematical Circles Library, which contains a number of volumes on problem solving for various grade levels. These books are not free, but many are reasonably priced.
- Problems and solutions from the American Mathematics Competitions. These problems are for grades 8-12 only but they are freely available. The website also links to further resources for preparing for a mathematics competition.
Parking and Travel to Stevens
Participants are encouraged to use public transportation when traveling to campus. For details on public transportation options to and from Stevens, please visit the traveling by public transportation to Stevens webpage. Stevens campus is a 10-minute walk down River Street from the Hoboken train and PATH stations. The Edwin A. Stevens building is located at the intersection of River and 5th Streets.
If you choose to drive, you may use the following Stevens parking garage for the duration of the event. Parking will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Babbio Center Garage: Located in building number 2 on the Stevens campus map. Access the garage by traveling down 5th Street, past River Street and down towards Frank Sinatra Blvd. Make a left onto Frank Sinatra Blvd. The entrance to the Babbio Center garage is located on the left. Take the elevators to the main floor (level L) of the Babbio Center to gain access to the Babbio, Burchard and Edwin A. Stevens buildings.
Parking can also be obtained at local parking facilities a few short blocks from the Stevens campus. For more information about local parking garages, please visit visitor parking webpage.
Please note that Hoboken has strict on-street parking rules and that, in most cases, residential permits are required in order to park all day. It is highly recommended that you use the Stevens’ lot or municipal garages if you plan to drive.
Questions and Cancellations
If you have any questions or can no longer attend, please email [email protected].