The Mathematics Immersion Program (MIP) is a three-week summer program for New Jersey Undergraduates currently enrolled at New Jersey Colleges and Universities, and who are recipients of a New Jersey Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF) grant. MIP is conducted each summer on the campus of Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken NJ. The program traditionally begins the second Sunday in July. There is no fee to apply or attend the program.
The primary goals of MIP are to help EOF students:
- Improve their understanding and application of general mathematics concepts;
- Increase their confidence in and comfort with mathematics;
- Gain a better understanding of the role of Mathematics in their daily lives and in their chosen major/careers.
MIP is a challenging academic program, and rewarding social experience. Participants reside in double room occupancy residence hall on the Stevens campus Sundays through Fridays, and attend classes daily.
Students will be administered a pre-test to be placed in the appropriate Mathematics course (Algebra, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus/Calculus). They will receive academic instruction in the required courses, obtain tutoring and other academic assistance, attend professional and personal development seminars, participate in fun social events, and have the opportunity to develop friendships with peers from other New Jersey colleges and universities.
At the completion of the program each student will receive their pre and post test scores, prepare a research paper about the relevance or application of mathematics in their major or career of interest, and make a very brief presentation of their findings.
Students are provided with meals, any required textbooks or special supplies, and a weekly stipend.
MIP is a residential program, and all participants are required to reside in campus housing Sunday afternoons – Friday afternoons, and return home for the weekends.
Students interested in attending MIP must meet the following minimum requirements:
Currently enrolled undergraduate at a New Jersey College or University, and receiving an EOF grant;
- Completed (or in the process of completing) basic skills coursework including a mathematics course;
- Demonstrated need for assistance to improve mathematics skills or confidence (confirmed by EOF staff);
- Willing and able to reside on the Stevens campus for the duration of the program;
- Cannot concurrently be employed Sunday evenings –Friday afternoons.
Students interested in applying to MIP must submit the following
- A completed MIP Application
- Transcript (unofficial or official)
The Mathematics Immersion Program (MIP) is funded by the State of New Jersey, Office of the Secretary of Higher Education, Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF), and coordinated by the STEP/EOF staff at Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ.
For more information contact, [email protected], 201-216-5387