If a friend or family member wants to visit you in the U.S. to attend your graduation ceremony, sightsee, or just spend time with you, you will need to write your friend/family member an invitation letter and gather accompanying documents to send to that person so that she or he can apply for a visa.
- Download the form letter here, and save it on your computer.
- Wherever you see information in bold like this, you must remove the words in bold and input your own information.
- Once you have completed the letter, print it out on plain white paper; Stevens letterhead is not needed and will not be provided by ISSS for this purpose.
- Sign the letter in blue ink where you see “[Your Signature].”
- Send the letter to your friend/family member as a scan or original (preferred) by mail.
- Along with the letter, you should provide the following to your friend/family member:
- Everyone: Send copies of your I-20 and passport ID page (with your picture).
- If you are a current student (even if you are graduating this semester), send a copy of your official transcript. You can request this from the Registrar's Office.
- If you are graduating, send proof of your graduation-- a Letter of Expected Completion. You can request this from the Registrar (graduate students).If you are on OPT, send a copy of your EAD (front and back) and offer letter for your current job.
If your family members/friends would like information on applying for a visitor visa, please refer them to the Department of State's website here. Unfortunately, ISSS cannot advise on visitor visas.