Dependents (spouse or minor child) accompanying or wishing to join a J-1 must be issued a dependent DS-2019 and apply for a J-2 visa. The following documents are required when requesting a dependent DS-2019:
- Request for Dependent Form I-20 or DS-2019
- Financial documents to cover dependent expenses
- The minimum per month amounts that must be provided are $500 for spouses and $400 for each child.
- Copy of dependent’s passport.
- Proof of relationship (marriage certificate or birth certificate listing parentage) translated into English, if necessary.
J-2 Dependent Employment Authorization
J-2 dependents can apply for employment authorization from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as long as the dependents are not looking to work in order to support the J-1 exchange visitor. Please read the J-2 Request for Employment Authorization form if you would like to know more information about applying for employment authorization and a step-by-step guide on how to apply.
Please keep in mind that employment authorization must be approved by USCIS and the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) received by the J-2 applicant before he/she can begin working.