When you came to the United States you had a particular reason or purpose for your stay. You may have come for business, or to accompany another family member. That purpose is called your “principal activity” or “status.” However; your purpose for being here may have changed. Perhaps you are thinking about getting a graduate degree. Or your “principal activity” may be ending because you’re thinking about leaving your job and returning to school.

If your principal activity, reason or purpose for being in the U.S. has changed, and you want to stay in the U.S. because you have a specific educational or professional objective you want to pursue full-time, you will need to change your status to F-1 student status or F-2 dependent status by travel or by filing an application with the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS). The ISSS is happy to help you with applying to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for a change of your nonimmigrant status to F-1 student. One of our staff will be available to advise you as to whether or not changing your status is the right thing for you and to advise you about USCIS’s requirements and procedures.