Ph.D., American Civilization, Brown University, Providence, R.I.
A.M., American Civilization, Brown University, Providence, R.I.
Music Studies, Extension Divisions, The Juilliard School of Music and The Manhattan School of Music, N.Y., N.Y.
M.A., English and Education, Hunter College, N.Y., N.Y.
A.B., English, Iona College, New Rochelle, N.Y.
The scholarship of Leslie Dewart
19th, 20th and 21st century Art
Neuroscience and language acquisition/development
Undergraduate and Graduate Courses Taught:
Freshman Composition and Basic Skills; -American Literature: The Pre-Colonial Period to the Present; - Out of the Depths: Voices in African American Literature; - Literature and Nature;
Religion and Culture: Anthropological Perspectives; -Creative Writing (Poetry and Short Fiction); -The Modern Short Story; -American Experience (Fairleigh Dickinson CORE program); Technical and Business Communication; -Contemporary Civilizations: Africa, Asian and The Middle East; -The Pre-Modern World; -The Making of the Modern World; -Directed Independent Studies (graduate); -Literature of Incarceration (graduate).
2012 (Fall) Adjunct Instructor, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, N.J.
1998-2010: Director of Composition and Intensive Studies, Humanities Department, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, N.J.
1997-1998: Acting Director, The Pre-Professional Program, New Jersey Institute of Technology- Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
1995-1996: Adjunct Instructor, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Drew University, Kean University and NJIT
1988-1994: Faculty of Arts and Science, Chair of English Language and Literature (’91-’94), Arts and Science Advisor, Bermuda College, Paget, Bermuda
1982-1988: Associate Professor of English, Salve Regina University, Newport, R.I.
1985-1988: Adjunct Professor, The Electives Program, United States Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1979-1981: Undergraduate Concentration Advisor, The American Civilization Program, Brown University
1979-1980: Freshman Faculty Advisor, Brown University
1978: Freshman Seminar: “The Convergence of Music and Poetry”
Honors & Awards
(Summer) National Endowment of Humanities Seminar, Visiting Scholar, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
(Summer) National Endowment of Humanities Seminar, Visiting Scholar, University of California, San Diego
University Scholarship, 1978; 1981-82, Brown University
University Fellowship, 1979-1981, Brown University
Teaching Associateship, 1979, Brown University
Phi Beta Kappa (Brown 1982) Omicron Delta Kappa (NJIT 2000)
- Coakley, J. A.C. Hollis-Hallett Chronicle of a Colonial Church 1612-1826 Bermuda., Juniperhill Press.
- Coakley, J. The Bermuda Writers Collective, Palmetto Wine, a short fiction anthology by Bermudian writers with Foreword.,.
- Robert E. Lynch, Thomas B. Swanzey and John P. Coakley. The Example of Science: An Anthology for College Composition (Revised 3rd Edition) with accompanying Teachers Manual, Answer Key and online instructional material., (2002, 2005, 2006).
- Coakley, J. "Censoring The Past: The Pitt Report and Social Justice in Bermuda", International Meeting of the Association of Caribbean Studies, Georgetown, Guyana.
- Coakley, J., Scharf, D.. "Integrating Information Literacy into the First-Year Composition Curricula", 11th Annual Users Conference, Vale, New Jersey.
- Coakley, J. "Placement in Composition Courses: 'When One-Size-Doesn't-Fit-All.'", International Conference on First-Year Experience, Honolulu, HI.