If you are considering studying abroad, there are several academic considerations that must be made before beginning your journey abroad. The Office of International Programs will provide assistance before your program begins and when you return.
The Role of Academic Advisors
Academic advisors play a critical role in the study abroad process, as well as the director of the Office of International Programs. It is important to meet with your Academic Advisor and/or Co-op counselor to discuss a study plan for your experience abroad. It is also required to meet with the director of the Office of International Programs prior to applying. You will select which courses are best suited for an international experience, as well as when the best time to go abroad. During your meeting, you will discuss the many possible locations to study, such as Europe, Asia and Latin America.
The Office of International Programs can provide assistance and information to assist the academic advisors when aiding students who are interested in an international educational experience.
Credit Transfer Information
Steps for Credit Transfer for Undergraduate Students
- Obtain a course description and syllabus from the college where you will take the course (online descriptions are sometimes sufficient, however it is preferable to get a syllabus).
- Bring the description and Application for Transfer Credit form to the transfer credit contact person for approval and Stevens' equivalent.
- The Application for Transfer Credit form must then be signed by one of the Deans of Undergraduate Academics and a copy dropped off to the director of the Office of International Programs and uploaded into the Study Abroad Portal.
- The completed form is then submitted to the Office of the Registrar.
- An official transcript from the other institution, showing a grade of C or higher in the course(s) being transferred will then need to be forwarded to the Office of International Programs.
- The Office of International Programs and the Office of the Registrar will check signatures and process the Application for Transfer Credit form once the official transcript is received.
Steps for Credit Transfer for Graduate Students
Graduate Students should consult with the director of international programs and their academic advisor if they are pursuing a study abroad or exchange program option at an international university.