The Summer Research Institute (SRI) is a maritime security-focused research program for undergraduate and graduate-level STEM students. The eight-week intensive program emphasizes critical thinking and multidisciplinary research to generate innovative ideas and solutions to address complex maritime and homeland security issues. Since the program's inception in 2010, 210 students representing more than 30 U.S. universities have participated. See below for information on the SRI 2020 program and to review the student team research projects and video recordings.
SUMMER RESEARCH INSTITUTE 2020
The MSC's 11th annual Summer Research Institute was held virtually from June 1 - July 24, 2020. This summer's program included 23 students representing the following five universities: Boston University, City College of New York, Montclair State University, Stevens Institute of Technology, and Texas Southern University.
Student Team Research Projects
The students were organized into six research teams. The topics for this summer's projects were proposed to us by the Center's U.S. Coast Guard and DHS S&T stakeholders. A copy of the team project descriptions can be found here: SRI 2020 Project Descriptions.
Student Team Research Outcomes
The student's presented their research outcomes in a virtual presentation session held on July 23, 2020. See below for copies of the presentation slides and video recordings.
Risk Management Dashboard and Predictive Analytics Team
Sulfur Emission Detection Team
Maritime Cyber Risk Team
Offshore Windfarm Team
Blue ROV Team
Wave Glider Team
SRI 2020 Homeland Security Guest Speakers and Program Contributors:
- Dr. Talmor Meir, Senior Lead Data Scientist, Verisk Analytics
- Mr. John Hillin, Safety and Security Division Chief, U.S. Coast Guard Sector New York
- Mr. Scott Rutledge, Branch Chief, CBP Field Operations, Port of New York/Newark
- CDR Brian McSorley, U.S. Coast Guard Sector SE New England
- Mr. Michael Edgerton, Manger Port Security, Port Authority of NY/NJ
- CPT Frank Hooten, Texas Military Department
- Mr. Frank Fiumano, Port Security Specialist, U.S. Coast Guard Sector New York
- Dr. Greg White, Center for Infrastructure Assurance and Security, University of Texas-San Antonio
- Ms. Grace Python, Senior Operations Analyst, U.S. Coast Guard Research and Development Center
For more information, please contact:
Beth Austin-DeFares, Director of Education, Maritime Security Center
Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ 07030
Phone: 201.216.5362 Email: [email protected]