REU-2007: Information for students traveling by air
The following provides information for students traveling by air.
In arranging your travel plan, please notice the following:
(1) Purchase your tickets (round-trip tickets) as soon as possible so you could get lower price. This will save fund for the REU program.
(2) Please keep the receipts for the flight tickets (or train tickets). You will get reimbursed upon your arrival.
(3) Make sure you purchase round-trip tickets, not one-way.
(4) Stevens student volunteers will meet you at the airport. Therefore it is important for you to follow the instructions below in purchasing your flight tickets.
(4.1) Airport: There are three airports in the area (EWR: Newark, NJ; JFK: New York, NY; LGA: New York, NY). Please use EWR: Newark, NJ. This airport is closest to Stevens.
(4.2) Travel dates:
Arrival at EWR: Saturday (5/19) or Sunday (5/20)
Leave EWR: Saturday (7/28) or Sunday (7/29)
It would be better if you arrive at EWR during the day so that it would be easier to get to Stevens and get to your dorm.
(4.3) E-mail me (firstname.lastname@example.org) your flight info when you purchased your tickets. Make sure keep your receipts for reimbursement.
(4.4) After you arrive at the airport terminal and pick up your luggage, look for the sign of "Ground Transportations / Taxi".
Take a taxi to Stevens which is located in Hoboken, NJ: http://www.stevens.edu/main/maps/driving_directions.shtml
The cost of the taxi might be around $30~$50. Please keep your receipts for reimbursement.
(4.5) If you have any difficulty, call me anytime; My office (201)216-5264; My cell (908)229-7578.
(5) Once you are on campus, go to Howe Center (13-story building). At the front desk, you show you ID (any ID) and get the key to your dorm room.
(6) You will stay in a university dorm room, not a hotel room. Therefore you need to bring things like your own shower towels. For students traveling by air, REU-2007 will go out to buy bedding set for you. For students traveling by car, you bring your own bedding set.
(7) If you arrive by car, please see driving direction: http://www.stevens.edu/main/maps/driving_directions.shtml
After entering campus at 9th street through the gates, proceed to the Howe Center (13-story building) to obtain parking information. Tell them that you come to meet Prof. Yao of ECE department. When you come to my office (Burchard Building, Room B211, (201)216-5264), I will lead you to see department assistant, who will help you arrange parking permit.
(8) Public transportation info: http://www.stevens.edu/main/maps/public_transport.shtml
(9) After your arrival at Stevens, one of the first things you do is to fill an IRS form. Your stipend is paid through Stevens' payroll. You must be legal to work in U.S. You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and must have a valid Social Security Number. Otherwise your payroll arrangement can not be made and you are unable to receive the stipend. If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, please let me know ASAP.)