|PHD, INDUSTRY PROFESSOR AND DIRECTOR OF SYSTEMS PROGRAMS|
|School: School of Systems & Enterprises|
- Managing Complex Development Projects, MIT Sloan School of Business, 2000
- Ph.D. Lehigh University, 1985
- Ms.C. Lehigh University, 1978
- BSc. Universidad Nacional de Colombia, 1976
Next Generation Networks (NGN) and Network Centric Systems (NCS)
Service Systems Engineering
Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE)
Application of Architectural Frameworks to Systems of Systems (SOS)
Renewable Energy Systems and Energy Systems Security
Complex Systems Development Management
Dr. Ricardo L. Pineda received his M.Sc. in solid state physics and his PhD degree in nuclear physics from Lehigh University in 1978 and 1985 respectively. He is currently Systems Programs Director at Stevens Institute of Technology. He was the AT&T Endowed Professor, Chair of the Industrial, Manufacturing and Systems Engineering (IMSE) department and Director of the Research Institute for Manufacturing and Engineering Systems (RIMES) at the University of Texas at El Paso.
He has held numerous leading positions in R&D at Bell Labs; Chief Technology Officer (CTO) at AT&T in Mexico; Practice Director at Siemens SBS; Technology Planning Director and Network Systems Director at Lucent Technologies.
His current research interests include Next Generation Networks (NGN) and Service Systems Engineering, Application of Architectural Frameworks to Systems of Systems (SOS), Complex Systems Development Management, and Smart Grids. Dr. Pineda is the author or coauthor of numerous publications including presentations at international conferences, publications in international journals, book chapters and Technical Research reports. He is the founder of the Systems Engineering program at UTEP and has developed relationships with industries and government agencies to support experiential practice based curriculum for Leadership engineering. Since joining UTEP Dr. Pineda has executed more than 30 Systems Engineering research and developmental projects with several industries (LMC-Aero and ADP, WSMR, Jacobs Engineering, Hamilton Sundstrand, Raytheon-IDS and NCS, AT&T, etc.) and with government agencies (NIST, NRO, etc.).
He is an active member of INCOSE, IEEE, IIE, ASEE and ISACA and serves on the Executive Council for TMAC, under the US Department of Commerce-NIST. Dr. Pineda has been a reviewer for the DOE Research Programs proposals and for Stevens UASERC; he was a member of the CSER 2013 Technical committee. Dr. Pineda has been invited speaker at the United Nations Forum, the Organization of American States, the Intelligent Network World Forum, and the International Engineering Education Network.
Dr. Pineda was recipient of the UTEP Outstanding Performance Award, the Outstanding Research Award, the Research Award Recognition, and the “AT&T Architecture Award”. He was also a Distinguished Member of the Technical Staff (DMTS) at Bell Labs and was nominated by Bell Labs for the “USA – Hispanic Engineer of the Year” award. He was nominated for the ASEE DuPont Minorities in Engineering Award in 2011. He has been a Gotshall Fellow and a Baldwin Fellow during his career.
- September 2011- AT&T Distinguished Professorship in the College of Engineering
- May 2008 – Chair Industrial, Manufacturing & Systems Engineering Department (IMSE), UTEP
- Jun 2007 – Director Research Institute for Manufacturing & Engineering Systems, UTEP
- Aug 2006 – Clinical Professor, ECE UTEP
- Jan 2004 – Aug 2006 - Latin-American Practice Director, Siemens SBS, Dallas, TX
- Sept 2000 – Jan 2004 - Associate Professor, ITESM, Monterrey, Mexico
- Jun 2000 – Sept 2002 - Chief Technology Officer (CTO) AT&T-Alestra Mexico
- Jan 1995 – Jun 2000 - Technology Planning Director, AT&T-Alestra, Mexico
- Oct 1992 – Dec 1994 - AT&T Network Systems Director
- Jun 1990 – Oct 1992 - Distinguished Member of the Technical Staff (DMTS), AT&T-Bell Labs, Holmdel, NJ
- Jan 1986 – Jun 1992 - Member of the Technical Staff (MTS), AT&T-Bell Labs, Holmdel, NJ
- Jan 1978 – Aug 1980 - Associate Professor, Universidad de Los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia