Dr. Robert Cloutier, PhD
|ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR *|
|School: School of Systems & Enterprises|
|Department: School of Systems and Enterprises|
|Program: Systems Design and Operational Effectiveness|
Ph.D., Systems Engineering, 2006, Stevens Institute of Technology
MBA, Management, 1999, Eastern University
B.S., Physical Science, 1978, United States Naval Academy
Model Based Systems Architecting
System Architecture Patterns
System Architecture Entropy
CONOPS (Concept of Operations) Modeling
Systems Engineering Methods, Processes, & Tools
Robert Cloutier is an Associate Professor in the School of Systems and Enterprises at Stevens Institute of Technology. Rob has over 20 years experience in systems engineering & architecting, software engineering, and project management in both commercial and defense industries. His research interests include model based systems engineering and systems architecting using UML/SysML, reference architectures, systems engineering patterns, and architecture management.
Rob spent twelve years working for Boeing in Philadelphia primarily as a lead avionics engineer and an enterprise architect. During his seven years at Lockheed Martin he was a lead software engineer, and a system architect on a number of efforts and proposals. As the lead software engineer and lead process engineer, he was part of the leadership team that worked with the Navy to move the Aegis combat system to an object oriented software product, using an iterative development process.
Joining Stevens faculty in 2007, Rob has taught courses and delivered workshops in systems engineering, system architecture for industry and government systems engineers; and architecture thinking for architecture thought leaders at Nokia. Rob has experience delivering coursework both in the classroom and online, and has developed courses for both venues.
Rob belongs to the International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE), IEEE and ACM. Rob received his Ph.D. in Systems Engineering from Stevens Institute of Technology, and also holds an M.B.A. from Eastern University, and a B.S. in Physical Science from the United States Naval Academy. Finally, he and his wife raise puppies for The Seeing Eye to serve as guide dogs to the blind.
Senior Editor for North America, International Editorial Review Board, International Journal of Information Technologies and Systems Approach (IJITSA)
Associate Editor, International Journal of Systems and Software Engineering (a soon to be launched e-journal)
Associate Editor, Journal of Enterprise Transformation (a soon to be launched journal)
Reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics--Part A: Systems and Humans
Honors & Awards
- 2009-2010 Alexander Crombie Humphreys Distinguished Teaching Associate Professor Teaching Award
- International Council of Systems Engineers (INCOSE)
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
Grants, Contracts & Funds
- Crowe, Portia and Robert Cloutier. (Oct 2009). ", Case History: The U.S. Army updates its readiness reporting systems using “Agile” approach in a challenging environment", April Klimley, PDMA VISIONS: Insights into Innovation , Product Development and Management Association. XXXIII (3), 13-15.
- Cloutier, Robert. Applicability of Patterns to Architecting Complex Systems, VDM.
- Cloutier, DiMario and Polzer. "Chapter 6 - Net-Centricity and System of Systems", System of Systems - Innovations for the 21st Century, Mohammad Jamshidi, Wiley, 2009.
- Squires, Alice and Robert Cloutier. "Evolving the INCOSE Reference Curriculum for a Graduate Program in Systems Engineering", Systems Engineering Journal, Accepted August 2009.
- Cloutier, Robert, Gerrit Muller, Dinesh Verma, Roshanak Nilchiani Eirik Hole & Mary Bone. (Jan 2010). "The Concept of Reference Architectures", Andrew Sage, Systems Engineering Journal, Wiley. 13 (1), 14-27.
- Sommer, Kim and Robert Cloutier. "Clockspeeds in Architecture: Evolution, Dead-Ends, and Discontinuities", Systems Research Forum, Vol. 6, No. 1 (2009), pgs 1–28, World Scientific Publishing Company.
- Crowe, Portia and Robert Cloutier. "Evolutionary Capabilities Developed and Fielded in Nine Months", Crosstalk, The Journal of Defense Software Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 4, p15-17, May/Jun 2009.
- Herald, Thomas, Dinesh Verma, Lubert, and Robert Cloutier. "An Obsolescence Management Framework for System Baseline Evolution - Perspectives through the System Life Cycle", Systems Engineering Journal - Volume 12, Number 1, January 2009.
- John M. Linebarger, Mark J. De Spain, Robert J. Cloutier, Floyd W. Spencer, Michael J. McDonald. "The Design for Tractable Analysis (DTA) Framework: A Methodology for the Analysis and Simulation of Complex Systems", International Journal of Decision Support System Technology, 1(2), 69-91, April-June 2009.
- Rashmi Jain, Anithashree Chandrasekaran, George Elias, and Robert Cloutier. "Exploring the Impact of Systems Architecture and Systems Requirements on Systems Integration Complexity", IEEE Systems Journal, Vol. 2, No. 2, DOI: 10.1109/JSYST.2008.924130, June 2008.
- DiMario, Michael, Robert Cloutier and Dinesh Verma. "Applying Frameworks to Manage SoS Architecture", Engineering Management Journal, Vol. 20 No. 4, December 2008.
- Cloutier, Robert and Dinesh Verma. "Applying the Concept of Patterns to Systems Architecture", Systems Engineering Journal, Vol. 10, No. 2: 138-154, 2007.
- Cloutier, Robert and Dinesh Verma. "Applying Pattern Concepts to Systems (Enterprise) Architecture", Journal of Enterprise Architecture, Volume 2, Number 2, pgs 34-50, May 2006.
SYS 625 Fundamentals of Systems Engineering
SYS 650 System Architecture and Design
SDOE 625 Fundamentals of Systems Engineering
SDOE 650 System Architecture and Design
SDOE 750 Advanced System and Software Architecture Modeling and Assessment