OPPORTUNITY ASSESSMENT APERTURE (particularly suitable for new ventures)
- Overall size/growth?
- High value to potential customers?
- Visible customers?
- Leverage from first customers?
- Clear advantage vs. alternatives
- Demand >> supply ?
- Unfair advantage(s)? (technology, cost, marketing, delivery, time )
- Uniqueness vs. competitors/alternatives?
- Cash flow soon?
- Preemption and domination of mkt possible?
- Ability to sustain advantages?
- Entrenched competitors?
- Exposure to overtaking or ambush?
- Competency competitors don't have?
- Speed advantage?
- Competitors' ability to replicate?
- Competitors as partners?
- Viable entry strategy?
- Low hanging fruit?
- Punchy, compelling story?
- Marketing costs?
- Ability to create hype?
- High profile person available?
Ability to Execute (to profit)
- People with experience/track record?
- Ability to scale?
- Strategy to cross chasm?
- Margin? (revenue >> costs)
- Time to market?
- Manageable seed capital requirements?
- Seed capital visible?
- Contacts? References?
- "Hot" area?
- Clear exit strategy (investor liquidity) ?
- Bootstrap opportunities?
Â© January 2000 by Thomas McKnight and Carl Pavarini Entrepreneurial Ventures in Telecommunications and Electronic Media Columbia University Graduate School of Business