Why Study Systems Engineering?
Capable systems leaders are in demand. Engineers who have both the technical knowledge to design cutting edge systems and the skills to operate in an increasingly complex globally interconnected business and policy environment are leading and supporting innovation and problem solving across industry and government.
Systems Engineering teaches the multidisciplinary skills and approaches needed to architect, design and manage complex technical systems and processes throughout their life cycles. These skills include:
- Business process, needs analysis and operational assessment
- Technical skills (including engineering, software engineering, security)
- Systems thinking
- Modeling, simulation, decision analysis and risk management
- Design for integration, harmonization and interoperability
- Design for system reliability and serviceability
- Life cycle cost and benefit analysis
- Architecting systems, test & test environments for verification and validation
- Managing complex development systems
As one of the largest providers of systems engineering education to the US federal government and to industries worldwide, the School of Systems & Enterprises (SSE) offers a 30-credit Master of Engineering in Systems Engineering, a 54-credit Doctor of Philosophy(Ph.D.) in Systems Engineering and several 12-credit Graduate Certificates, that are geared to practitioners and students.
Our master's degree provides the right blend of engineering, technology and management training and prepares graduates to become technical leaders who apply a systems approach to successfully navigate and manage complex systems. Our graduates are able to address systems integration, life cycle issues and systems thinking at the system and enterprise levels, in a market where globalization, quality, complexity and productivity are the business drivers.
Why Systems Engineering at SSE?
- Home to Systems Engineering Research Center (SERC), the National Center of Excellence in Systems Engineering funded by the Department of Defense
- Largest provider of systems engineering education to the U.S. government and the defense industry worldwide
- Graduate placements at leading private and government institutions: Accenture, AT&T, BAE, Booz Allen, Cisco, Exxon, FAA, IBM, L-3, Lockheed Martin, NASA, Northrup Grumman, Orbital, Rockwell Collins, U.S. Airforce, U.S. Army, U.S. Navy and Verizon
- World-renowned and industry-connected faculty
Message from Program Director
Our systems engineering graduate programs are designed by practitioners for practitioners. We leverage global partnerships with industry and government to provide highly relevant curriculum to develop the proficiency and experience of our students.
Dr. Robert Cloutier, Associate Professor & Deputy Director, Systems & Software Division; Director, Systems Engineering Programs
Over the last few decades, the healthcare system has been a raging topic of discussion across the United States. With costs approaching a fifth of the economy… Read more >>