Curriculum Practical Training (CPT) for Academic Credit
If an international student pursuing a master’s degree wishes to engage in CPT (Curriculum Practical Training) in a department willing to offer CPT and receive academic credit for the experience, one of the following two options is available.
I. The student may elect to do a thesis which involves an academic experience that is related to the job experience. The thesis advisor must attest to the relevance of the CPT experience.
II. The student may elect to do a project in the form of a 3 - credit 800 - level course associated with any term when the student is using CPT.
As part of the approval process for a CPT assignment a faculty advisor and an industry (work) supervisor is assigned. The student shall be required to write a project paper and present it at the end of the term to a group consisting of the program director, assigned faculty supervisor, and other students who took CPT in the same term, as well as the associated project supervisors.
Student project deliverables:
- Written proposal for the topic of the project within 2 weeks of starting the CPT assignment. The proposal will be reviewed by the industry supervisor and the academic project advisor. Sign-off by both is required.
- Written project plan for the project work including work items and due dates. The project plan will be reviewed by the industry supervisor and the academic project advisor. Sign-off by both is required.
- Interim report of progress of the written project 6 weeks after the start of the CPT project to be submitted to the faculty advisor.
- Final written project paper and oral presentation to the faculty and others (see above) in the 13th week of the CPT project (end of term).
- Grade assigned by the faculty project advisor on a per-term basis.
If an international student pursuing a PhD degree wishes to engage in CPT, either of the two options given above is available. Approval by a general advisor for a student not yet engaged in dissertation research or by the thesis advisor for a student engaged in dissertation research is required. ** A student will be assigned a grade of F for their course if they do not complete the required thesis/project/dissertation before graduation.