In the present-day world, financial markets are the driving force behind the global economy. With each moment, these markets are becoming increasingly powerful, complex and volatile. The precariousness of the financial system during the last decade exposed a glaring need in our ecosystem for individuals who possess the following four attributes in their skillset:
- A thorough understanding of the financial markets along with complex financial structures, trading strategies and derivatives
- Sophisticated financial mathematical modeling skills along with the prerequisite knowledge of advanced probability, statistics, stochastic processes and time series analysis
- Knowledge of financial Big Data modeling in the rapidly growing field of Financial Services Analytics which involves creating data-driven decision-making analytic tools for the financial services industry
- Expertise in programming languages such as C++, C#, Python, Java, and other computational skills related to databases, parallel computing, big data and data visualization
These skills along with practical know-how can help solve the multifaceted and creative financial challenges of the current and future markets.
Financial Engineering is an interdisciplinary field that combines the above desired attributes of mathematical modeling, statistical analysis, finance, economics, computer programming skills, and systems thinking to solve the financial challenges at the enterprise and at the systemic level. At the School of Systems and Enterprise(SSE), the Master of Science in Financial Engineering provides our graduates with a fundamental understanding of domains applied in the quantification of financial systems and knowledge areas that are intrinsic in the structuring of financial products and markets. The SSE Doctoral Degree in Financial Engineering prepares students to perform research or high-level design in financial engineering and is the first Ph.D. program to be developed in the nation.
Successful graduates can find employment in fields such as:
- Quantitative Trading
- Quantitative Analysis ("Quants")
- Risk Management
- Algorithmic Trading
- Complex Derivatives Structuring
- High Frequency Trading and Analysis
- Structured Products Sales and Marketing
Why Financial Engineering at SSE?
- Home to state of the art Hanlon Financial Systems Lab that includes a trading room and Bloomberg terminals
- Positioned minutes from New York City, the world's financial hub
- Graduate placements at major financial institutions: Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, Bank of America
- World-renowned and industry-connected faculty
Message from the Division Director
The demand on Wall Street has never been higher for people with strong expertise in mathematical methods, computational tools, computer programming, and systems thinking. At SSE, the Master's degree in Financial Engineering balances academic rigor through a technically challenging curriculum, with practical applications, and provides students with a real world, hands-on educational and research experience that make them highly successful in the world of high finance.
Dr. Khaldoun Khashanah, Division Director, Financial Engineering and Distinguished Service Professor