Degrees are conferred twice a year- once in January, for students completing course requirements in the summer and fall semesters and once in May, for students completing course requirements in the spring semester.
Graduation Requirements for Undergraduate Students
An Application for Candidacy must be completed, signed by your advisor and submitted to The Registrar's Office by August 6th for graduates completing in the Fall, or October 1st for graduates completing in the Spring. A late fee will be charged for Applications for Candidacy received after the appropriate due date. Application for Candidacy forms are available from our forms page, the department or your advisor. Please follow this link for AC instruction.
Once your AC is signed by your advisor, you may mail or fax it to the Registrar's Office at 201-216-8030. You may verify receipt and status of your Application for Candidacy on Web for Students (login thru myStevens) under "Graduation Checkout." Please check for your name on the list of degree candidates- note that this is how your name and degree will appear in the commencement program and on your diploma.
Submission of the AC is your notice to Stevens that you are ready to graduate. The Office of the Registrar will review this document and inform you of any issues that may affect your ability to graduate.The Bachelor's graduation fee will be assessed to your account after your Application for Candidacy has been received and reviewed. The fee must be paid prior to the Commencement ceremony in order to receive your diploma(s) on graduation day.
If your AC is turned in after the listed deadlines, you may be ineligible to walk in the May commencement ceremony.
Graduation Requirements for Graduate Students
For students who expect to complete degree or certificate program requirements, the following requirements must be met:
- An Application for Candidacy must be completed, signed by your advisor and submitted to The Registrar's Office by October 1 for graduates completing in the Fall, or February 15 (or the first day the office is open should this fall on a weekend or holiday) for graduates completing in the Spring. A late fee will be charged for Applications for Candidacy received after the appropriate due date. Application for Candidacy forms are available from our forms page, the department or your advisor. If your AC is turned in after the February 15th deadline, you may not be eligible to walk in the May commencement ceremony.
- The Master's and Ph.D. graduation fee or Graduate Certificate fee will be assessed to your account after your Application for Candidacy has been received and reviewed.
In addition, if you are submitting a Master's Thesis or Ph.D. Dissertation, the following requirements must be met:
Master's Thesis Requirements
- A thesis is not required for most programs.
- Specifications for thesis writing is available from the S.C. Williams Library, or 201-216-5415.
- Approval of the thesis is required from your Advisor and a second reader (please talk to your advisor about specific departmental regulations).
- An approved original and two (2) copies, a Microfilm Release Form (available from the Library Special Collections, 201-216-5415) and a binding fee are due in the Library by the specified date in the Academic Calendar.
- A Master Thesis Report (link to form) signed by your thesis advisor and reader is due to the Registrar's Office by the specified date in the Academic Calendar.
Ph.D. Dissertation Requirements
- Specifications for dissertation writing is available from the S.C. Williams Library, or 201-216-5415.
- Public defense of the dissertation is required by the Last Day of Class for the Semester (check the Academic Calendar for the exact date).
- An approved abstract of the thesis and the date, time and place of the defense must be submitted to the Registrar's Office ten business days prior to the actual defense.
- An approved original and two (2) copies, a Microfilm Release Form, UMI Publication Agreement form, and Survey form are available in the Library Special Collections, 201-216-5415. A binding and microfilming fee is due in the Library by the specified date in the Academic Calendar. It is suggested that you pick up a copy of the UMI Publications Agreement form and Survey form from the library ahead of time.
- A Report on Dissertation (link to form) signed by your Advisory Committee and the Dean of Graduate Academics is due to the Registrar's Office by the specified date in the Academic Calendar.
You can find a list of our fess at the Student Service Center Tuition and Fees page.
Commencement Ceremony events are organized by the Office of Student Life. More information about the ceremony can be found here.
Participation in Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony Policy
Students with an approved Application for Candidacy Form (for a May graduation) as of January 15 of that year will be eligible to participate in the May Commencement Ceremony provided that their enrollment for the Spring semester includes all the courses needed to graduate in May, and provided that all Spring enrollments with extra courses beyond the normal load have the written approval of the Dean of Undergraduate Academics. Grades of F, W, INC, or ABS in any of these courses will not disqualify the student from participating in the Commencement, but students who have not completed all degree requirements will not receive a diploma at the ceremony. Diplomas are produced and issued only upon completion of all degree requirements at the next conferral date.
An announcement of this policy will be included each September in the email sent out to the senior class requesting that they submit an Application for Candidacy Form signed by the student's advisor by October 15.
Diplomas will be mailed to the student's permanent address about 6 weeks after the date of conferment.
- For January graduation, the estimated time of delivery date is mid-March.
- For May graduation, the estimated time of delivery date is mid-July.
If you need documentation of your graduation for your family to apply for a visa to attend the ceremony, please follow this link to a template for the letter. Requests for invitations should be directed to the Office of Student Life.
Stevens Campus Store
The Campus Store is open on Commencement Day with souvenirs and mementos of Stevens. Also available are frames for your diploma and graduate school rings. For more information you may contact the manager of the Campus Store, Ms. Teresa Tridente at 201-216-5176 or email her.
Please forward the Alumni Association your permanent address or your address you'll be at after the commencement and your e-mail address via their Web page or e-mail.
Graduation and Commencement Contacts
Requirements; Application for Candidacy; Letter of Completion: Office of The Registrar
Commencement Ceremony: Office of Student Life