IT security starts with the physical machine being secured from unauthorized users. If a person can sit down at a computer it is only a matter of time before that person can use that computer to compromise your account. The intent of this section is to prevent unauthorized users from getting access to the physical machine.
All University guidelines should be followed for general office security.
Some highlights users should be aware of:
- Do not prop open any building doors.
- Keep the door to your office or dorm room locked when it is unoccupied.
- Lock first floor windows, fire escape windows, and security screens.
- Don't let strangers use your computer.
- Report any problems or possible security violations to your computer support staff, office manager or other building administrator.
- Do not walk away from your computer without either locking it, turning it off or putting it into a password protected screen saver mode.
- Utilize physical laptop locks to prevent someone from walking away with your laptop.