The H-1B classification allows individuals to work temporarily in the United States in a Specialty occupation. A specialty occupation is defined as one that requires “theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge, and attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree, or its equivalent, as a minimum requirement”. The H-1B permits for a maximum of 6 years of employment, including time spent on an H-1B visa with another employer. An initial application may be made for a period of three years or less. Extension applications may be made for periods of three years or less, up to the six year total.
As part of the application process, the hiring department must provide documentation to prove that the job requires someone with special qualifications and that the candidate meets those qualifications. USCIS makes the final decision on whether or not the scholar qualifies for H-1B classification.
The Department of Homeland Security now requires that employers provide an export license determination in order to employ certain nonimmigrant workers, including individuals in H-1B status. This determination is made by Stevens’ Export Compliance officer who will review the job description and determine whether an export license is required for the position.
The H-1B is employer specific, and the ISSS office handles all H-1B applications for individuals who will be working at Stevens.
- Full Time Faculty, Tenured Track Faculty position
- Full Time Staff, with Dean approval
- Specialty Occupation
- Position requires a minimum of bachelors degree or equivalent
- Approved I-612, Application for Waiver of the Foreign Residence, if subject to the foreign residency requirement pursuant to a J-1, or evidence that you have met the two year requirement
H-1B Initial Request
H-1B Extension Request
- Approval from US Department of Labor – 30 to 90 days
- USCIS - Regular Processing - 4 to 6 Months
- USCIS - Premium Processing - 15 calendar days
Fee Structure (and who pays)
- $ 325.00 H-1B Filing Fee (Department)
- $ 500.00 Antifraud Fee – Initial H-1B only for request from Stevens to USCIS (Department)
- $ 1,225.00 Premium Processing Fee - Optional for quick processing (Department)
- $ 290.00 Change of status/extension of stay application for dependents (Scholar)
Make checks payable to: U.S. Department of Homeland Security (do not abbreviate name)
|If premium processing:||If regular processing:|
|2400 Avila Road|
Laguna Nigel, CA 92677
|75 Lower Welden Street|
St. Albans, VT 05479-0001
It is recommended that departments send check requests to Accounts Payable with sufficient time to allow for prompt filing. Please be sure to forward checks to the ISSS office. Do not mail checks directly to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.