The ability to communicate effectively in English—to read, write and speak the language fluently is vital to a Stevens graduate student. Therefore every international applicant must demonstrate English Language proficiency by submitting the results of a TOEFL or an IELTS test (see exemptions below).
Students with scores:
- 86 (TOEFL iBT), 567 (TOEFL PBT), 7 (IELTS)
No further English Language and Communications (ELC) requirements upon arrival on-campus.
- 79 - 85 (TOEFL iBT), 550- 563 (TOEFL PBT), 6.5 (IELTS)
Must complete the ELC requirement.
- Take an English Language Communication (ELC) course during their first semester at Stevens
- ELC course can be taken along with a regular course load in the student's graduate program
To place out of the ELC requirement students in this category may choose to take and pass the Stevens English Communication Proficiency Exam (ECPE) administered by Stevens upon arrival. (There is a fee of $50 for this test).
- 74 - 78 (TOEFL iBT), 537 – 547 (TOEFL PBT), 6 (IELTS)
Must complete the ELC requirements. Cannot place out of the ELC requirement.
- Complete an intensive English Language Communication program during their first semester at Stevens.
- Be eligible for a reduced academic load if academic difficulties during their first semester due to language difficulties, upon appropriate approvals.
Stevens code for TOEFL/IELTS is: 2819. Stevens accepts only official TOEFL /IELTS scores submitted directly by the testing agency. No photocopies of any scores will be accepted. The TOEFL or IELTS scores must be dated within two years of the time your application is processed for review by the Office of Graduate Admissions. Applications will not be reviewed until the scores are submitted.
Exemptions for TOEFL/IELTS:
- Students whose native Language is English and/or have earned a 4-year Bachelor's degree from a university at a country where English is the native language, are not required to submit English language proficiency tests scores.
- Students who have earned a 4-year Bachelor's degree from an accredited university/college where all instruction is conducted in English (other than the case outlined above) are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS test and submit their scores. Certain students, highly Proficient in English, may choose to file a petition to take the Stevens English Communication Proficiency Exam (ECPE) in lieu of the TOEFL or IELTS. This exam focuses on the assessment of the student's written, oral, and comprehension skills, and will be administered upon arrival. (There is a fee of $50 for the test). See petition guidelines in the detailed requirements document below. All applications submitted before the decision on the petition for waiver is made, will be considered incomplete and will remain incomplete until a score is submitted or a waiver is granted.
For detailed information on the above requirements, please click here.