English Language Proficiency
The ability to communicate effectively in English—to read, write and speak the language fluently is vital to a Stevens graduate student. Therefore every international student must demonstrate English Language proficiency by submitting the results of a TOEFL or an IELTS test (see exemptions below).
Students with scores:
86 and above (TOEFL iBT), 567 and above (TOEFL PBT), 7 and above (IELTS)
No further English Language and Communications (ELC) requirements upon arrival on-campus.
79 - 85 (TOEFL iBT), 550- 563 (TOEFL PBT), 6.5 (IELTS)
Must complete the ELC requirement.
- Take an English Language Communication (ELC) course during their first semester at Stevens
- ELC course can be taken along with a regular course load in the student's graduate program
To place out of the ELC requirement students in this category may choose to take and pass the Stevens English Communication Proficiency Exam (ECPE) administered by Stevens upon arrival. (There is a fee of $50 for this test). Those who do not pass the exam will be placed in an ELC course.
74 - 78 (TOEFL iBT), 537 – 547 (TOEFL PBT), 6 (IELTS)
Must complete the ELC requirements. Cannot place out of the ELC requirement.
- Complete an intensive English Language Communication program during their first semester at Stevens.
- Be eligible for a reduced academic load if academic difficulties during their first semester due to language difficulties, upon appropriate approvals.
Exemptions for TOEFL/IELTS:
Students whose native Language is English and/or have earned a 4-year Bachelor's degree from a university at a country where English is the native language, are not required to submit English language proficiency tests scores.
Those who had petitioned for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver based on the English Language Proficiency policy and were granted a waiver will need to take the Stevens English Communication Proficiency Exam (ECPE) upon arrival on campus. This exam focuses on the assessment of the student's written, oral, and comprehension skills, and will be administered during orientation. There is a fee of $50 for the test.
Register to take the ECPE Exam
Students who fall into one of the following categories must register to take the ECPE exam upon arrival on campus.
- Have TOEFL scores between 79 and 85
- Have a 6.5 IELTS score
- Received a waiver during admissions based on the exemptions listed above
Registration for the exam will open in June.