|Email: [email protected]|
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Physics and Engineering Physics|
Columbia University, New York, NY: Ph.D. (1982), M. Phil. (1980), M. A. (1977) in physics
Doctoral Thesis: Hyperfine structure of praseodymim doped lanthanum trifluoride using photon echo modulation.
Advisor: Professor Sven R. Hartmann
Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA: B. S. (1976) in physics.
Senior thesis: Light scattering from nematic liquid crystals.
Advisor: Professor Lorenzo M. Narducci
- My research interests currently are in the area of the development of applications for novel semiconductor lasers for sensitive detection of molecules and for free space optical communications
- I have also worked in and retain an interest in the areas of quantum optics, transient optical spectroscopy and squeezed quantum states
- I am currently a topical editor for the journal Optics Letters.
Honors & Awards
2003-2004 American Institute of Physics State Department Science Fellow
Science and Technology Advisor, Directorate for Defense Trade Controls, United States Department of State
Member: American Physical Society
Member: Optical Society of America
Member: New York Academy of Sciences
Patents & Inventions
United States Patent # 5,267,019: Method and apparatus for reducing fringe interference in laser spectroscopy, Edward A Whittaker and Hoi Cheong Sun, Inventors. Issued November 30, 1993.
United States Patent # 5,636,035: Method and apparatus for dual modulation laser spectroscopy, Edward A Whittaker and Hoi Cheong Sun, Inventors. Issued June 3, 1997.
United States Patent # 7,073,384: Method and apparatus for remote measurement of vibration and properties of objects, Dimitry Donskoy, Nikolay Sedunov and Edward A Whittaker, Inventors. Issued July 11, 2006.
- PEP 111 Mechanics
- PEP 112 Electricity and Magnetism
- PEP 332 Mathematical Methods for Physics
- PEP 722 Molecular Spectroscopy