Members and Alumni
PhD student, Mechanical Engineering
Dissertation title: "Energy harvesting based on ambient vibrations for low power applications"
- V. Challa, M.G. Prasad and F.T. Fisher (2009). "Towards a Self-Tunable Wide Frequency Bandwidth Vibration Energy Harvesting Device," ASME International Mechanical Engineering Conference and Exposition (IMECE), November 13-19, Lake Buena Vista, FL
- V. Challa and F.T. Fisher (2009). "Design Considerations for MEMS Scale Vibration Energy Harvesting," ASME International Mechanical Engineering Conference and Exposition (IMECE), November 13-19, Lake Buena Vista, FL
- V.R. Challa, M.G. Prasad, and F.T. Fisher (2009). “Coupled piezoelectric-electromagnetic energy harvesting technique for increased power output through damping matching”, Smart Materials and Structures, 18, 095029.
- V.R. Challa, M.G. Prasad, and F.T. Fisher (2008). “High efficiency energy harvesting device with magnetic coupling for resonance frequency tuning”, SPIE Smart Structures/NDE, March 9-13, San Diego, CA
- V.R. Challa, M.G. Prasad, and F.T. Fisher (2008). “Evaluation of coupled piezoelectric and electromagnetic technique for vibration energy harvesting”, SPIE Smart Structures/NDE, March 9-13, San Diego, CA
- V.R. Challa, M.G. Prasad, and F.T. Fisher (2008). Invited. “A High Efficiency Multi-beam Array Tunable Energy Harvesting Device for Powering Wireless Sensors”, IEEE 17TH International Symposium on the Applications of Ferroelectrics (ISAF), February 24-27, Santa Fe, New Mexico
- V. Challa, Y. Shi, M.G. Prasad, and F.T. Fisher (2008). “A vibration energy harvesting device with bi-directional resonance frequency tunability”, Smart Materials and Structures, 17, 015035.
- V.R. Challa, M.G. Prasad, Y. Shi, and F.T. Fisher (2007). “A wide frequency range tunable vibration energy harvesting device using magnetically induced stiffness”, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Conference and Exposition (IMECE), November 11-15, Seattle, WA.
- V.R. Challa, M.G. Prasad, and F.T. Fisher (2007). “Resonant frequency tunable vibration energy harvesting device”, The 6th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, September 11-13, Stanford University, Stanford, CA.M
PhD student, Interdisciplinary Engineering
Dissertation title: "Interphase characterization for polymer nanocomposites"
(Medical leave since Nov 2005)
- F.T. Fisher, K.C. Lee, and L.C. Brinson (2005). “Elastic and Viscoelastic Properties of Non-bulk Polymer Interphases in Nanotube-reinforced Polymers”, SEM 2005 Annual Conference on Experimental and Applied Mechanics, June 7-9, Portland, OR.
NUE Video module team (February 2008)
Brandon Langley (Electrical Engineering, '10)
Hardik Jogani, Bergen Academy
Jillian Cardamone, Bergen Academy
Paras Bhatt, Bergen Academy
Jose Romero, Bergen Academy
Mo Amin (Mechanical Engineering, '08)
Ellyn Griggs (Biomedical Engineering, '11)
Technogenesis, Stevens Scholars, and Summer Undergraduate Researchers
(left to right) Vinod Challa (PhD student), Kevin Heaney (ME '11), Prof. Frank Fisher, Laura Barito (ME '11), Justin Richman (ME '11), Ryan (Applied Math, '09).
Not shown: Erich Rau (ME '10), Melissa Wiegand (ECE '12)
(left to right) Brandon Langley (ECE '10), Nick Walulik (ME '11), Catherine Galdun (Chem '10), Prof. Frank Fisher (ME '95), Ellyn Griggs (ME '11), David Barth (ME '10), Ryan Oelkers (Chem & Applied Math '09), Michael Whalen (PEP '11) Allyson Mackavage (Chem Eng '11)
Senior Design Teams
Members: Nick Faust, Brent Chanin, Matt Fitzsimmons, Andrew Wohl, Aaron Kalbermatten, Matt Wilson (ME students)
Piezoelectric Energy Harvesting Demonstration Unit
Members: Chris Burgess, Brian Friebel, Alex Heckman, Joe Liccardo, Joe Pticar (ME students)
Members: Christopher Lee (ME), Daniel Cheng (ME), Parag Patel (ME), Reginald Wood (ME)
Piezoelectric-based Energy Harvesting
Members: Eric McCormick (ME), Jim Waterman (ME), Scott Hamilton (ME), David Manning (ME), Shingo Matsubara (ME)
Engineers without Borders: Water Purification System
Members: Jonathan Da Silva (ME), Kim Fellenz (ME), Kevin Gonzalez (ME), Emanuel Rios (ME); Stevens EWB website here.
Members: Joshua Guerra (ME), William Mehnert (ME), Matthew Grywalski (ME), Jerry Dutreuil (ME) (co-advised with J. Nazalewicz)
Members: Gerald Delatour II (ME), April Hartmann (ME), Dennis Lueken (ME), Giuseppe Vitamia (ME), Christopher Wightman (ME)
Engineers Without Borders: Hydroelectric system design
Members: Greg Maietta (Civ Eng), Nick Strand (ME), David Velasco (ME), Katie Weatherall (B&T 08), Chloe Weck (ME).
Members: Keith McDougall (ME), John Sharon (ME), Rio Silitonga (ME), and Pete Worley (ME)
PhD in Mechanical Engineering, December 2008
Dissertation title: "Processing, structure, and properties of semi-crystalline polymer nanocomposites"
Current location: Senior R&D Engineer, Lubrizol Advanced Materials, Avon Lake, OH
- G. Mago, D.M. Kaylon, and F.T. Fisher (2009). “Hybrid carbon nanofiber-PBT nanostructures produced via crystallization-induced functionalization”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 114, 1312-1319.
- G. Mago, F.T. Fisher, and D.M. Kaylon (2008). “Effects of multiwalled carbon nanotubes on the shear-induced crystallization behavior of poly(butylene terephthalate)”, Macromolecules, 41, 8103
- G. Mago, F.T. Fisher, and D.M. Kalyon (2008). “Deformation induced crystallization and associated morphology development of carbon nanotube - PVDF nanocomposites”, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 9, 3330-3340.
- G. Mago, D.M. Kalyon, and F.T. Fisher (2008). “Membranes of Polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) and PVDF nanocomposites with carbon nanotubes via immersion precipitation”, Journal of Nanomaterials (special issue on Nanomechanics and Nanostructured Multifunctional Materials), 3, 759825.
- G. Mago, C. Velasco-Santos, A.L. Martinez-Hernandez, D.M. Kalyon, and F.T. Fisher (2007), “Effect of Functionalization on the Crystallization Behavior of MWNT-PBT Nanocomposites”, Proceedings of the 2007 MRS Fall Meeting, November 26-30, Boston, MA.
- G. Mago, J. A. Dutreuil, F.T. Fisher, and D.M. Kalyon (2007). “Structural formation in poly(butylene terephthalate) and PBT nanocomposites during uniaxial deformation”, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Conference and Exposition (IMECE), November 11-15, Seattle, WA.
- G. Mago, F.T. Fisher, and D.M. Kalyon (2007). “Nanoparticle-enhanced shear-induced crystallization of semicrystalline polymer nanocomposites”, 2007 Joint ASME/ASCE/SES Conference on Mechanics and Materials (McMAT2007), June 3-7, Austin, TX.
- G. Mago, F.T. Fisher, and D.M. Kalyon (2006). “Effect of shearing on the crystallization behavior of poly(butylene terephthalate) and PBT nanocomposites”, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Conference and Exposition (IMECE), November 5-10, Chicago, IL.
Undergraduate Research Assistants
Adam Kohn, Bergen Academy Sept 07 - Sept 08
Nanotechnology research video modules
Currently: Lehigh University, Materials Science
Summer 2008: Undergraduate researcher team
From left: Brandon, Nick, Catherine, Prof. Fisher, Ellyn, David, Ryan, Michael, Allyson
Not pictured: Jerry Dutreuil
From left: Jerry Dutreuil, Gaurav Mago, Vinod Challa, Pete Stellato, Ryan Oelkers, Prof. Fisher, Melissa Rhode
ot pictured: Kon-Chol Lee
From left: Vinod Challa, Gaurav Mago, Kon-Chol Lee