Apply now to participate in the 2016 SRI! The program dates are June 6 - July 29, 2016.
Click here to complete the online application: 2016 SRI Application Form
The Summer Research Institute (SRI) provides undergraduate and graduate-level students a unique opportunity to participate in an intensive eight-week research program designed to tackle critical issues in maritime domain awareness, emergency response, and maritime system resilience, to enhance our nation's maritime security.
This highly-collaborative, hands-on summer research program emphasizes critical thinking and multidisciplinary research to generate innovative ideas and solutions to address complex maritime security issues.
The program is held annually during the months of June and July. Since the program's inaugural offering in 2010, 103 engineering and science students have engaged in the MSC hosted summer research program.
SRI Program Highlights:
- Students engage in thought-provoking seminars and lectures by MSC researchers, and maritime industry and government homeland security experts.
- Participate in collaborative multidisciplinary, hands-on research, through modeling and simulation projects, data collection, and real-time analysis.
- Engage in field visits to ports, laboratories, and industry and government sites.
- Work as part of a motivated team to prepare final reports and present research findings, and conclusions to MSC researchers and DHS officials.
- Selected team projects will be featured at DHS conferences and meetings.
- Enhanced educational experience through experiential research.
- Engagement in real-world research and analysis as it relates to U.S. maritime and port security.
- Professional development - Verbal and written communications
Criteria for participation:
Undergraduate students must possess an excellent academic record (GPA of 3.0 or better), and currently enrolled in a Science and/or Engineering degree program.
Graduate students must be currently enrolled in a Science and/or Engineering degree program and demonstrate a GPA of 3.5 or better.
Students must be U.S. citizens to receive scholarship funding.
Application Process and Deadlines:
Interested students must complete an online application form and submit one letter of recommendation.
Click here to complete an online application form for the 2016 summer research program: SRI 2016 APPLICATION FORM
The deadline for applying is February 26, 2016. Priority admission will be given to students from MSC academic partner schools and students from MSI schools and universities.
The SRI is held on-campus at Stevens Institute of Technology, in Hoboken, NJ. The 2016 program will be held from June 6 - July 29, 2016.
For more information, please contact:
Maritime Security Center
Stevens Institute of Technology
Hoboken, NJ 07030
Email: [email protected]