Dr. Richard Berkof
|School: Schaefer School of Engineering & Science|
|Department: Mechanical Engineering|
|Program: Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Engineering|
- Ph.D., Engineering Mechanics, City University of New York, 1969
- Master of Science, Mechanical Engineering, Columbia University, 1963
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering, City College of New York, 1962
Dynamics of Machines and Mechanisms, Balancing of Linkages
- Erie Plastics, Sr. Corporate Automation Manager
- Weiler Corporation, Manager, Engineering & Manufacturing Support Services
- Raytheon Engineers & Constructors, Manager, Advanced Manufacturing & Systems Integration
- Gulf+Western, Advanced Development & Engng. Center, Group Mgr., Planning/ Tech. Services
- American Can Company, Corporate R&D Laboratory, Research Associate
Stevens Mechanical Engineering Dept. responsibilities include: teaching engineering classes, coordinating Engineering Graphics program, supervising Senior Design Projects, starting up and coordinating (as Director) the graduate program in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Engineering, and other academic functions.
Papers Reviewer: ASME, CSME (Canada), Applied Mechanics Reviews, Shock and Vibration Digest, Mechanism and Machine Theory, National Science Foundation [proposals].
Engineering Design Consulting: Bustin Industrial Products, Inc. & Bright Lithographing Corp. Various legal consulting.
Honors & Awards
- ASME Life Fellow
- In 1995, ASME honored fundamental paper (1969) on the balancing of linkages by being named one of the five greatest contributions in the mechanisms field since 1945. Now in university textbooks
- Machine Design Award, CCNY and Machinery Magazine
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), Life Fellow
- International Society for Pharmaceutical Engineering (ISPE), Member
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), Member
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers/Robotics International (SME/RI), Sr. Member
Grants, Contracts & Funds
Multiple contracts awarded by New Jersey Department of Transportation for research on new truck energy absorption system for highway safety.
- R. Laub, V. Tollerton, & R. Berkof. (2010). "The Cheliceral Claw of Acutiramus (Arthopoda: Eurypterida): Functional Analysis Based on Morphology and Engineering Principles", Bulletin of the Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences, 39 29-42. Short Story .
- B. Demeulenaere & R. S. Berkof. (2008). "Improving Machine Drive Dynamics: A Structured Design Approach Towards Balancing", Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Mechanical Design.
- J. DaSilva, J. Peterson, M. Kocak, W. Indoe, & R. Berkof. (Jan 2008). "Automatic Pill Bottle Opener", Pharmaceutical Engineering. Vol. 26, No. 1 pp. 62-70.
- R. S. Berkof. (2004). "History of Machines and Mechanisms by the Stevens Family and at Stevens Institute of Technology", International Symposium on History of Machines and Mechanisms, Proceedings HMM2004, Marco Ceccarelli, Ed., Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, ISBN 1-4020-2203-4 (HB), pp.149-162.
- Richard S. Berkof. (1988). "The Second Ten Years: A Bibliography", Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp.81-120,.
- G. G. Lowen, F. R. Tepper, and R. S. Berkof. (1983). "Balancing of Linkages -- An Update", Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 213-220.
- Richard S. Berkof. (1979). "The Input Torque in Linkages", Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol 14, No. 1 pp. 61-73.
- R. S. Berkof, G. G. Lowen, and F. R. Tepper. (Jun 1977). "Balancing of Linkages", Shock and Vibration Digest, Vol. 9, No. 6 pp. 3-10.
- R. S. Berkof, G. G. Lowen, and F. R. Tepper. (1976). "Complete Force Balancing of Four-Bar Linkages", Linkage Design Monograph, A. H. Soni, Ed.
- Richard S. Berkof. (1976). "The First Ten Years: A Bibliography", Mechanism and Mach. Theory,, Vol. 11, No. 3 pp. 157-179.
- G. G. Lowen, F. R. Tepper, & R. S. Berkof. (1974). "The Quantitative Influence of Complete Force Balancing on the Forces and Moments of Certain Families of Four-Bar Linkages", Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol. 9, No. 3/4 pp. 299-323.
- Richard S. Berkof. (1973). "Complete Force and Moment Balancing of Inline Four-Bar Linkages", Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol. 8, No. 3 pp. 397-410.
- Richard S. Berkof with G. G. Lowen. (Feb 1971). "Determination of Force-Balanced Four-Bar Linkages with Optimum Shaking Moment Characteristics", Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Engineering for Industry
, Vol. 93B, No. 1 pp. 39-46.
- R. S. Berkof and G. G Lowen. (Feb 1971). "heory of Shaking Moment Optimization of Force Balanced Four-Bar Linkages", Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Engineering for Industry, Vol. 93B, No. 1 pp. 53-60.
- R. S. Berkof & G. G. Lowen (1969). "A New Method for Completely Force Balancing Simple Linkages", Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Engineering for Industry, Vol. 91B, No. 1 pp. 21-26.
- G. G. Lowen & R. S. Berkof (1968). "Survey of Investigations into the Balancing of Linkages", Journal of Mechanisms, plus 11 translated articles from the Russian and German literature, Vol. 3, No. 4 pp. 221-231.
- J. Chung & R. S. Berkof. (Oct 2004). "Development of Advanced TMA Designs", 6th Annual NJDOT Research Showcase.
- J. Chung & R. S. Berkof. (Oct 2003). "Alternate Designs of Truck Mounted Attenuators", 5th Annual NJDOT Research Showcase.
- T. Milici & R. S. Berkof. (May 1990). "Steel Mill Material Handling Simulation Study", Presented at 6th Annual Scientific Computing and Automation Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Chien-Ih Pai, James J. Rowley, and Richard S. Berkof.. (May 1988). "Simulation of an Integrated Mail Handling System in an Automated Bulk Mail Center", Proceedings, USPS Advanced Technology Conference,United States Postal Service. Vol. 1 pp. 167-178.
- R. S. Berkof. (1979). "Force Balancing of a Six Bar Linkage", Proceedings, Fifth World Congress on the Theory of Machines and Mechanisms. American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Vol. 2 pp. 1082-1085.
- R. S. Berkof. (1975). "On the Input Torque in Mechanisms", Proceedings, Fourth World Congress on the Theory of Machines and Mechanisms, Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.. The Institution of Mechanical Engineers. pp. 151-156.
ME 225 Dynamics
ME 358 Machine Dynamics and Mechanisms
PME 530 Introduction to Pharmaceutical Manufacturing
PME 540 Validation and Regulatory Affairs in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing
E 120 Engineering Graphics
ME 540 Validation and Regulatory Affairs in Pharmeceutical Manufacturing
ME 530 Introduction to Pharmaceutical Manufacturing